Lack of Humidity - Humidifier 1st stage/2nd stage of furnace's blower.

Old 01-22-11, 02:39 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lack of Humidity - Humidifier 1st stage/2nd stage of furnace's blower.

Hi,

I have a:
- GeneralAire 1042LH Flow-thru Humidifier delivering 19.2 GPD
- Carrier-UltraEfficient Furnace - AFUE 92 - 2 stage furnace
- Furnace thermostat 1 stage
- House - 2 storey - 2200 sqft

I have the Humidifier humidstat at the max setting and we are not getting much humidity in the house.

I noticed the that the Humidifier will kick-in when the blower's furnace starts at the 2nd stage/speed only, could this be the problem?

Should the humidifier kick-in also when the furnace's blower starts on the 1st stage/speed? then more water would flow thru (??)

I noticed that when the furnace starts the blower is in the 1st speed only and if after 15 minutes the temperature is still not at the thermostat deired temp only then (after 15 min) the 2nd speed blower will start and of course then the humidier starts....

I guess that I"m trying to say that if the furnace runs more often on the 1st speed only than 1st for 15m and 2nd speed, then not that much water is flowing thru the humidifier....

Can it be wired so the humidifier kicks-in on both speed i.e. 1st and 2nd blower speed?

A Representative from a HC company told me to get a more powerfull Flow-thru Humidifier, but I'm thinking in doing do that the same problem will occur.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mike

Old 01-22-11, 03:51 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
do you know how the humidifier is wired?

Old 01-22-11, 04:39 PM
P
To the Furnace's Board:

- one to the HUM terminal
- the other to the COM-24V

I've taken a picture, let me know if you want me to post it...

thanks

Old 01-22-11, 05:02 PM
you can post it. but typically with that configuration it will run on both stages of heat

Old 01-22-11, 05:57 PM
P
I"m happy that you are saying that the humidifier should work on both stages but I watched it at least 3 times at the 1st and no water came out.... but I will double check this and perhaps I should watch it longer and perhaps the 15 minutes

I couldn't find the way to put my photo in the post, newbie....
I will read more and I will try to port it later...

Your help is appreciated..

Old 01-23-11, 07:17 AM
I agree, that HUM should fire up anytime the heat is called for.

How old is the furnace?

For best comfort, I'd suggest upgrading the stat to a true Two stage model for better comfort/long run time.

Here a link to help with posting photos.

Old 01-25-11, 06:37 PM
P
Hi,

I stand corrected,I have monitered longer - 1st stage/blower speed - and the Humidifer kicked in, therefore the humidifier sends water on both stages. Thanks for conforming.

Year of furnace: 2005

I still have the problem of not enought humidity :O) therefore can you please explain me a few things:

A call back the company who recently clean the furnace ducts - I explained that I'm not getting enought humidity (and please note that we bought the house back in June 2010 - with that humidifier already there) - the company said that my current humidifer gives 14 gpd and I should upgrade to a more powerful one i.e. a Skuttle 2001 giving 18 GPD. What is strange - after our discussion - I checked the current model/brand oer the internet and it tells me that it can output 19.5 GPD, so I'm reclunctant to try that new Skuttle 2001 at 18 GPD if my current is rated at 19.5 GPD. Can you please advice!

I can I test that, put a bucket and let it run in the bucket - instead of the return air duct - for 24 hours ?

Yes, the humidifers are rated - GPD - but it looks like the furnace's blower runs the process i.e. when it starts then the HUM starts, so if the blower controls it, then what different it is going to make if I buy a higher end HUM that produces an ouput greater in GPD ?

Is it possible that the flow of water will be greater - more water coming from the HUM - in the same amount of time the blower is running?
then if this is the case, I"m assuming the orifice/valve would be bigger, let more water in ?

If I needt to go bigger should I get something different i.e. Under Duct Humidfiers (Model 55UD)
Skuttle | Indoor Quality Air Products
Because Model 55UD employs the flow-through principle of humidification, it uses more water than other types of humidifiers.

Thanks for the photos upload tip, I just did it and you should see my photo below.
- I drew 2 yellow lines over the 2 wires
- 2 red circles for the destination.

Many thanks again, this is helping.

Old 01-25-11, 06:49 PM
*Expected Humidity Performance Coverage in Square Feet
based on infiltration rates (Air Changes/Hour) assuming
total 8 hour average furnace run time in 24 hour period.
Series
Model No. Loose (.75ACH) Average (.50ACH) Tight (.30ACH)
1042 800sf 1200sf 2000sf

Per this data, taken from general aire, your humidifier is not big enough to handle your square footage even if the house was a new tightly built home.

just to verify, there is a damper knob where the round duct connects to your humidifier. this is in the full open position?

I've never dealt with Skuttle products.
Aprilaire and Honeywell are reputable brands, not that Skuttle is not, but again I don't know anything about them. Flow Thru or Fan assisted humidifiers are the best in my opinion.

Old 01-25-11, 07:46 PM
P
Data understood thank you!

I think the house is AVG.

It makes sense now... I had the same HUM in my previous home ( AVG as well and 1140 sqf ) and I was very satisfied and of course as per our data (AVG house is good up to 1200 sqf) and new home now being 2200 sqf.

Damper knob - yes, fully open, I knew this one because I owned one before - a good basic question to ask. As basic it can be I'm sure it can make a big different, setting it at the wrong setting.

The fellow from the company left us a brochure - Skuttle - and if look at the model 201 - as he suggested - for an AVG home the sqf is 2725 and the ouput is 18 GPD.

Can you explain me why the GeneralAire delivers move i.e. 19.2 GPD compare to the Skuttle 18 GPD and that the GeneralAire covers only 1200 sqf compared to 2725 sqf for the Skuttle?

Data for the Skuttle Underduct model 55UD: AVG: 3000 sqf (up to 20 GPD).

When you say Fan assisted humidifiers those are still flow-thrus correct?

I will also look at the Aprilaire and Honeywell. I'm not stuck particularly on a brand as long as they are reliable and produces the humidity required.

I"d like to replace this - HUM - on my own, so I'm hoping the replacement HUM is similar in functionality. Probably this is hard to say - as we do not know what we will replace it - but I was wondering if most likely I'd be able to use the same wires from the Furnace to the new Humistat?

Appreciated!

I will also look at the

So I will have to upgrade it for sire

Old 01-25-11, 08:33 PM
quick question.... has the water panel been replaced this year? This is important on any water panel type ( flow thru / powered) humidifier. If the water panel is slimmed up with calcium and other deposits, then the water cannot be evaporated as well.

Can you explain me why the GeneralAire delivers move i.e. 19.2 GPD compare to the Skuttle 18 GPD and that the GeneralAire covers only 1200 sqf compared to 2725 sqf for the Skuttle?
This is hard to say, you have to consider that, as far as I know, they are using their own independent labs for this data. This means there is not a STANDARD for testing that all manufacturers have to use to rate their humidifiers for different homes. Another discretion could be if one is using cold water versus another using hot water (which evaporates better).

When you say Fan assisted humidifiers those are still flow-thrus correct?
They are flow-thru, but don't have a bypass duct attached, instead they use a fan to assist in the evaporation

Let us know if you have other questions. Do some research on your own to make your own decision on which humidifier best suits your needs. There is a lot of data available over the web. We can help you down the road we believe, but ultimately it is just our opinion. We are a good resource only because we have nothing to gain from SELLING you a specific brand or model. I think you have a good handle on what to look for and can form your own opinion on what is needed to provide what you need.

Old 01-26-11, 07:44 PM
P
In regards to your question: "has the water panel been replaced this year?"

I'm not familiar with the terminology, but I'm thinking this is the evaporating pad, the part where the water goes on, is this correct? if so, yes, it's a brand new one.

When you say: They are flow-thru, but don't have a bypass duct attached, instead they use a fan to assist in the evaporation

Fan-operated would then use the surround air near the furnace - in the basement - as oppose to the flow-thru with a bypass duct with incoming hot air. From your experience, to get a better % of humidity, is it better room temperature air or hot air from the furnace?

Also, I meant to say, that the water supply is hot water - on my current setup.

Thanks...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: