Humidifier Help - GeneralAire 1042 - Solenoid Valve Problems?

Old 01-22-11, 10:25 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Humidifier Help - GeneralAire 1042 - Solenoid Valve Problems?

We have an older home (around 100 years old), some areas insulated others not. The humidity in the house is extremely low, around 18%. Outside air temperature is around -10C.

I decided to have a look at the humidifier (GeneralAire 1042, bypass type). The cartridge was bone dry.

I checked the supply line and flow is good to the solenoid valve.

I removed the strainer/orfice portion and cleaned it. There was some build up but nothing substainial.

I can hear a humm or buzz coming from the solenoid valve, but no water on the outlet of the solenoid valve. When I disconnect and reconnect the solenoid valve power wire I hear the 'click' but still no water on the outlet.

The unit is only one year old. Any thoughts? Can I take the actually solenoid valve apart to see if there is crud inside?

Many thanks,

Detox

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-11, 06:20 AM
Do you have a meter? I'd take a reading to be sure you have power to the valve.

I've never been around this model, so I don't know how far you can go to take it apart.

Make sure the line from the valve to the pad is not blocked.

Old 01-23-11, 10:38 AM
D
Hi Jay,

I used my meter and measured the potential across the two wires. The reading was 25.9V AC. It's really cold here today and the furnace is calling for heat which sends power to activate the solenoid.

Yesterday I took apart the the strainer and orfice etc to make sure there was no blockage from the saddle valve to the solenoid. Everything is clear and I have flow to the solenoid, I have no flow after the solenoid.

Here is a link to the solenoid valve.

GeneralAire - Fresh indoor air quality

I will probably end up getting a new solenoid valve, but wondering if I can take the solenoid apart to clean/fix it.

The solenoid valve is warm to the touch and has a slight buzzing nosie to it.

Thanks

Detox

Old 01-23-11, 06:46 PM
Not much more to take apart than what you did. Did you undo the line after the valve?

Old 01-23-11, 07:30 PM
D
**Update**

Well I figured if the solenoid valve needed to be replaced I might as well take it apart to have a look it at.

I too the valve completely apart, carefully removed the actuator, check the spring etc. gave a quick inspection, made sure there was no debris and put it back together. I then reinstalled the solenoid valve unit and it worked.

When there is power and the furnance is calling for heat water flows from the inlet and exits the outlet. When I cut the power the solenoid valve closes and prevents outflow. So it appears to be working..........for now.

My question now is how much water is supposed to flow through the solenoid valve into the humidifier (it is a pass through type). Currently there is a small stream of water entering the humidifer when the solenoid is energized. The only reason I am asking is because I don't know what normal is (eg. a drip vs a steady stream).

Many thanks,

Detox

Old 01-23-11, 07:59 PM
Glad to hear you are working again.. The small stream is normal.