aprilaire issues

Old 02-26-11, 02:09 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
the 700 is probably not going to do what you want. If you are going to spend a couple of hundred dollars, then why not do it on something that will work........just my thoughts, lets wait for jay to chime in.

Old 02-26-11, 02:27 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Friend Fred, you're prolly right, I think I spent about $150 on this #600 if I remember right and another $200 that may be wasted. I guess I could live without a whole house humidifier, the worst thing is dry air while sleeping and I could get a table top unit to take care of that.

Is there a self powered model small enough to mount in my limited headspace off the return side, or is the supply side better? i know Aprilaire doesn't have one.

i'm going to take a couple more photos.

Old 02-26-11, 03:16 PM
D
here's more

this shows the space on the side of the 600, it's 4" wide. you can see there's an inch from the back of the 600 to the side panel of the furnace. I could center up the 700 and there would be 2" on either side for the air to spill out. I don't know, if it don't work I'm out $200? man, I need to grind away that rust and put some good carbozinc paint on.

this is the return side

this is the supply side

the orter side of the furnace is not an option, one the opening on the 600 is on the left and on this side of the frunace the supply would be on the right. two, the amount of room is limited by the water heater and the furnace flue pipe, not a good option, almost up to the basemant wall, it's not in the center of the room like jay's gramps.

Old 02-26-11, 03:40 PM
No, the air does not come out of the "cover" on the unit.. The air is drawn in on the side of the water panel, over the blower over the pad and back out.

Old 02-27-11, 04:58 AM
D
Friend Jay, yes sir, that's how I understand the operation of the 700 too. The air is drawn in from the cover side and discharged thru the backside of the water panel. The built-in fan is what blows the air over the water panel vs the way a bypass works. Other than that, the two units are identical; but the little fan of the 700 won't blow the intake so forceful as to cause my present situation. I guess my question should be whether or not there's enough area on the discharge to be effective. The water panel would sit one inch away from a dead-end wall and about there would be a 2"X13" opening for discharge air on either side of the panel. Am I explaining it good enough, I wish I could post a drawing, maybe I can? back to the drawing board. Thanks, Douglas

Old 02-27-11, 07:16 AM
No, the air is not drawn from the cover side. It's drawn in on the side of the the pad side. and back out in the middle of the pad side.

Old 02-27-11, 07:33 AM
both of you are wrong, jay is close, just backwards..........

Old 02-27-11, 08:59 AM
Ok, I was backwards! LOL I've never been around these units, so didn't know what way it was.

Old 02-27-11, 09:58 AM
D
here's what I'm thinking

according to Fred's illistration, the fan pulls (rather than pushes) the air from the backside of the water panel and it's then diverted back on each side and on into the return chamber. either way, i think it might work, the only thing I have is the volume of incoming air is reduced to only one inch deep, as opposed to pretty much unlimited if it was completely open to the backside.

Thanks, Douglas

It seems kinda counterproductive, you're drawing in some of the same air you just conditioned?

Old 02-27-11, 10:19 AM
D
So the fan is actually connected to the cover? There must be some kind of quick disconnect for the wiring? Or do you just unplug it from the 110v and set the cover/fan and all aside when doing service? Thanks, Douglas

Old 02-27-11, 11:59 AM
the fan is attached to the cover, Yes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: