Aprilaire 800 wiring w/ Infinity AH and T-stat

Old 01-31-11, 09:01 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 800 wiring w/ Infinity AH and T-stat

Just finished installing/mounting Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier which replaced an undersized model 400. I have not as yet installed the Model 62 ADHC because my understanding is that the Infinity Controller is able to call for humidity and control the fan (as long as the settings on the tstat are set to powered fan).

I am now ready to do the wiring and the only terminals on the 800 are for the humidistat (which I don't plan to use) and an optional fan pack which I am not using as well, but these terminals ARE labeled 24v whereas the humidistat terminals are not.

Is it possible to wire w/o the humidistat? If so, would someone be so kind as to let me know which wires to use and where to terminate.

Currently, the old wiring utilized only two wires for the fill solenoid on the old unit and I am assuming if I use these and wire to the humidistat terminal of the 800 I will fry the board since these are 24v.

Thanks in advance and I hope I was able to describe my situation, if not let me know and I can be more specific.

Old 01-31-11, 09:22 PM
Yes, the stat and the furnace can control it. Looks like we have to add a relay between the humidifier, and the furnace board.

Old 02-01-11, 01:57 PM
D
Thanks Jay. Just so I am clear, do not install the ADHC and add the relay and all should work fine.

As far as the relay, is this an Aprilaire relay, like the #50, or is it some other one. The furnace does have humidifier terminals in case that makes a difference. I've used the 50 relay before on a furnace without the terminals, so I am not sure which relay in my application.

Old 02-01-11, 03:49 PM
No, it's not the A50 relay. It's a low voltage relay/coil. I'll get back to you tonight with what you need to find.

Old 02-02-11, 09:13 AM
D
Thanks so much again Jay, I really appreciate your help...I will standby for part.

Old 02-02-11, 10:01 AM
D
Jay, I did some more research after your reply about the relay and wanted to see if I got it straight before you got back to me. So here is my understanding:

Since my Carrier equipment from end-to-end is a communicating type system whereby the humidistat is located within the t-stat and the OAT is located in the HP, all the wiring between the 3 pieces of my Carrier equipment use the same ABCD-ABCD-ABCD wiring, not the typical RGWY, etc.

Since one of my previous Aprilaire's was a powered model, there were two wires (HUM & C) from the PCB to the humidifier that would call when needed.

But now since the Aprilaire 800 is not fan powered, but needs to be energized to produce steam, when the call for humidity is made through the HUM terminal, I need to put a relay between those wires and the humifier to step down the 24V to the new humidifier.

Am I on the correct track? and would need a 24V SPDT relay coil?

Old 02-02-11, 08:50 PM
You'll need the relay like Honeywell R8222D1014

The coil side of the relay goes to the HUM and C on the furnace. The Aprilaire goes to the contact.

The relay keep the 24v power away from each other.

Old 02-03-11, 06:49 AM
D
Many thanks Jay, I appreciate your time and expert knowledge.

Old 02-03-11, 11:04 AM
D

Jay, do I have it correct now? If so, I hope my schematic might help others in a similar situation.

Old 02-14-11, 02:48 PM
D
Jay, finished installing the Honeywell relay and configuring T-stat for powered fan. Works like a charm! Went from 31%RH to 45%RH within 8 hours.

Thanks again for all your help and expert knowledge.

Old 02-14-11, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the update, and glad to hear it's working for you!

Have a great week.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: