Aprilaire 600M to Carrier Gas Furnace (58MTB) Performance 93

Old 02-17-11, 09:32 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 600M to Carrier Gas Furnace (58MTB) Performance 93

I am installing an Aprilaire 600M (manual control) humidifier to a Carrier 58MTB gas furnace. I am OK with placement of the humidifier (will be on the supply) and tapping into the hot water from the water heater, and wiring from the solenoid to the humidistat to the transformer as well as the solenoid direct to the transformer, but I am a little confused on the wiring from the transformer to the furnace.
Here are my questions:
1. Where is a recommended place to attach the transformer?
2. If my son has seasonal allergies, would it be beneficial to attach the black wire from the transformer to the EAC-2 terminal so it will run when the fan is running after we are no longer needing heat (unless we turn it off at the humidistat)? Or would it be recommended to attach the black wire to the HUM terminal, so that it only runs during the winter when the furnace is running?
3. Regardless of whether I end up attaching the black wire to either the EAC-2 or HUM terminal, where am I to attach the white wire from the transformer?

I have attached a picture of the wiring diagram for the furnace for your reference.

Thanks in advance for your help (I see that you are very helpful in the other forums I have been reading/referencing).

Old 02-18-11, 10:11 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Do not use the supplied transformer. Follow this diagram.

This will humidify only with heating which is the best way. IMO
After the heating season you should not need a humidifier, but instead a dehumidifier which your A/C acts as a dehumidifier.

Old 02-18-11, 11:52 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I assume the HUM or C terminal is 24V then? I'm curious why no transformer.

Also, from the solenoid are two yellow wires. Obviously, one will run to the humidistat, as in your drawing, and the other will go to the C terminal, but is there a way of knowing which one (does it matter)?

Thanks, again.

One final question (I think): What kind of wire is recommended for the wiring (from the solenoid to the humidistat and then to the furnace as well as from the solenoid to the furnace)? I assume the same wiring can be used for all three connections.

I currently have 14 GA (2.08 mm2) machine tool insulated (stranded) wire THHN. Stated "for use as appliance wiring material". Rated 105 degrees C / 600 volts. Will this work?

And if I chose to go through the EAC terminal instead of the HUM terminal, would the wiring setup you offered stay the same? Or would the transformer go into effect with that scenario? If the transformer was to be used in using the EAC terminal, would I have the black wire go to the EAC-2 terminal and the white wire connect to the C terminal? And just to be crystal clear, based upon the wiring diagram above, I assume the C terminal is the "Com 24V" terminal (field wiring screw terminal)? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions.

Last edited by hvactechfw; 02-18-11 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-18-11, 02:11 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, HUM is 24V hot while furnace is operating and C is common. It does not matter which wire you choose from the solenoid valve as we are dealing with AC. The transformer is not needed because your furnace offers the HUM terminal in 24V. Wire selection, as far as what I use is standard 18GA solid 2 wire (thermostat wire). The wire you have listed would be fine, but a little overkill.

If you use EAC this is where the transformer would come into play as that is 120V terminals. That would look like this.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: