wiririg of 6 year old aprilaire 700 to new ruud rgrm-10e furnace

Old 04-01-11, 11:28 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiririg of 6 year old aprilaire 700 to new ruud rgrm-10e furnace

All original wiring to odt,solenoid valve are the same, 120v for humidifier is plugged into same circuit feeding the furnace{all the time}, I had the installer give me 24v off r&c in the furnace to feed the humidifier contoller{not digital}, unit does not work,, it will work only in test mode if I hook up to a separate 24v transformer, I have not cut the controller into return yet, wanted to wait to see if wiring issue is resolved, I am an electrician.

Old 04-02-11, 06:16 AM
What model is the humidistat? Aprilaire has a few non-digital display model out there.

Outdoor sensor tied to it?

Old 04-02-11, 07:57 AM
D
I did not see a number on my humidistat, but looking at the parts sites, it looks like a model 56. Outdoor sensor is tied into it, and resistance check per troubleshooting manual was okay. I looked at external hookups for my new furnace[humidifier, air cleaner], they both are showing line voltage connections. Like I said before, only way I have seen it run since new furnace was installed, is with an external 24v hookup, no connection to furnace, and then only in test mode. Remember I not cut the humidistat into duct yet, but I didn't think that would matter. I need to be connected so humidistat senses furnace on, and connection to furnace R & C gives me 24v but nothing working. Any help would be appreciated, I have no problem calling my installer back, but he wanted to sell me a new unit back when they put it in. I have to respect my warranty also, thanks.

Old 04-02-11, 09:18 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Old 04-02-11, 09:57 AM
Also, make sure the mode switch is set to "Power" humidifier.

Old 04-02-11, 10:46 AM
D
I went thru this checklist already. Unit does not operate in either mode when hooked up to furnace r & c terminals. Aprilaire says unit appears to be okay since it runs in test mode with a temporary 24v transformer. Problem to me is where is the tie in to furnace, something is not telling the humidistat to activate humidifier.

Old 04-02-11, 11:54 AM

the problem with wiring like this is that there is nothing telling the humidistat that the heat or fan is running. However, 2 reasons why it may not be working for you are that 1.) the humidity at the humidistat is higher than the setpoint. 2.) the humidistat is broken.

Old 04-02-11, 01:50 PM
D
The install instructions for the 700 say to use auxiliary terminals at furnace, I guess my question is are they the line voltage terminals I spoke about earlier. I agree that being connected to r & c at furnace only provides 24v, but what is telling the humidifier the furnace is running. Again the rep from aprilaire felt the unit was ok based on my temporary hookup. He did not want to go any further and said I should go back to installing contractor to avoid problems with my warranty. The problem is he hooked it up like this and I can tell they would not like to be involved with existing equipment. The unit worked fine before this.

Old 04-02-11, 02:31 PM
700's have not been out for 6 years, only like 2-3 tops.... are you sure it is a 700 or is it a 760 (prior model to 700) the 760 had its own transformer in the control board in the humidifier. the 700 requires use of an external transformer on the control circuit.

What warranty do you have on the old humidifier?! I don't understand what you are saying there as no contractor is going to put a warranty on a humidifier that they transferred to an new furnace installation.

I can redo the diagram a few ways.... one using a number 50 relay so the humidifier only turns on with a call for heat. OR wire with a call for heat using the furnace transformer. To do this for you though I need to know the exact model you have because the 700 & 760 and a few others all look exactly the same.

Old 04-02-11, 04:35 PM
D
The unit was purchased on 12-4-2004[have original receipt]. Definitely is model 700. I feel my contractor would prefer to install a new humidifier than bother with my existing unit. Seems like a waste of money when this appears to be a connection issue. I don't have a problem buying a new controller but I want to be sure of the hookup. I thought this would be simple with a new furnace, and there would be a low 24v aux contact for a humidifier. My concern with the warranty is in regards to the furnace , not the humidifier. Should I consider the line voltage hum. connection in the furnace or go your route with a #50 relay.What does that relay sense, I know it breaks water valve circuit. Sorry this is such a pain, I thought it would be simple.

Old 04-02-11, 04:59 PM
Should I consider the line voltage hum. connection in the furnace or go your route with a #50 relay.What does that relay sense, I know it breaks water valve circuit.

If you have the high voltage terminals on the board, then I would use those to wire in an outlet for the humidifier. I don't think you have a connection problem though. Here is an easy check............ wire the two yellow wires together coming out of the bottom of the humidifier. does this turn the humidifier on?

does the control board as seen looking through the vents on the back of the humidifier look like this one and have the transformer in the middle or not?

Last edited by hvactechfw; 04-02-11 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-03-11, 05:53 AM
D
I did not realize that board was in the unit, it is the same as your picture. Wiring off the hum terminals to feed outlet for humidifier will take 10 mins, not a problem. The check you suggested has me connecting the 2 yellow wires coming off bottom of unit together. Those 2 wires feed the solenoid valve. They are wired through the pin connector when you open the unit. I don't understand what this test proves.

Old 04-03-11, 07:07 AM
if you have the board shown previously with the transformer in the middle those 2 wires actually are supposed to go to the control board and turn everything on, when you connect them together you complete the circuit telling the hum to turn on. look at the wiring again in the door connector. they should go to the humidistat terminals on the control board.

Old 04-03-11, 09:14 AM
D
I did wire the 2 wires together that were wired to the h terminals on the humidistat, the humidifier ran. The confusion was I have 2 yellow wires also, they go to the solenoid, the 2 brown wires coming from the pin go to the humidistat terminals on the humidifier cont rol board, and they are the wires that complete that circuit. I will assume it is acceptable to let the line voltage connection off the furnace tell the humidifier that the furnace blower is running. Aprilaire does not offer this as an option, they do it thru the 50 relay.

Old 04-03-11, 09:23 AM
correct use the hum terminal on the furnace control board preferably over the eac terminal for control of the line voltage.

Because we no know for sure that the Hum works we can deduct that out problem is in the humidistat. check the resistance of the odt and make sure it is inline with the chart in the troubleshooting. If you have already done this and the outdoor temp is between -30F and 60F I would replace the humidistat or try to install the manual mode resistor if you have it and see if that works.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: