Dehumidifier with outlet timer

Old 04-13-11, 09:37 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dehumidifier with outlet timer

Hello!

I need a dehumidifier in my basement but I do not want it to run all the time.

I want to get a dehumidifier such as Soleus Air SG_DEH-45 (http://www.soleusair.com/soleusair/M...5_1_Manual.pdf) and use an outlet timer to control when the dehumidifier is running.

My question is: What are the chances that killing the power will shorten the life of the compressor? If outlet timer is not a good idea, are there other options to turn the dehumidifier once or twice a day for a few hours?

Old 04-13-11, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you were to operate this unit as the mfr intended, it will shut off when the humidity set point is reached and turn back on when the humidity goes back above the set point. My guess is that what you're planning won't cause a problem, but why didn't you ask Soleus?

Old 04-13-11, 10:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
The unit should turn off when the selected humidity is reached and it should not turn back on until the humidity rises, so it should not run all the time even when it's turned on. If you have the humidity set to the lowest setting it may run almost continuously but if you pick something reasonable it should cycle on/off as needed.

I'm not familiar with that unit but every dehumidifier I have seen with digital controls defaults to off when the power to the unit is turned off. So, your remote timer switch may turn the power back on but the dehumidifier will not operate until someone presses the on button on the control panel. Also when you kill power to the unit you will probably also loose the memory for how you had humidity & fan speeds set.

I have several similar units but all with different brand names. They all stay off once the power to them is killed. It's very annoying. Every time there is a power outage I have to remember to go around and turn them back on, re-select the humidity...

Old 04-13-11, 08:56 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
45 pints is very small! Would not handle a very small basement. Look at models of 65 pint and up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: