Which to use? Getting ready to buy a dehumidifier for crawlspace

Old 07-06-11, 09:25 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which to use? Getting ready to buy a dehumidifier for crawlspace

Getting ready to purchase a dehumidifier for crawlspace after going through two frigidaires in 1 year . . . can't decide between Aprilaire 1750 and Santa Fe Advanced. Aprialaire has full 5 year warranty, Santa Fe 1 year parts/labor, 5 years compressor . . . big chunk of change for both . . . help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-11, 10:45 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
First things first if I can? Have you done anything to the crawlspace to reduce the source of moisture? Steps should include covering a dirt floor with a vapor barrier. Air sealing the rim where the house rests on the concrete. Closing vents and or windows. And sealing off any other outside air sources that may be carrying moisture into that space. Once the crawlspace is prepared, then the size and cost of a dehumidifier may be significantly less than you are anticipating.

Is the crawl prep work done?

Bud

Old 07-06-11, 11:17 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Bud! I've put the vapor barrier on the floor (but haven't sealed to walls as we have a french drain around the perimeter of the crawl floor and I'm not how to seal plastic to wall) , I've closed vents and put 1" styrofoam over the vents (but haven't caulked them . . .probably need 2" styrofoam). We have a little frigidaire running that will work for a few months, drains to the sump pump, and then all of a sudden it stops draining and fills the water bucket up. So, I want to get a dehumidifier more suited for a crawlspace, taking into consideration that I will need to "tweak" my sealing efforts, also. Any input would be awesome! thanks!!

Old 07-06-11, 08:35 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Both are good units. Santa FE is most likely better