Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Humidifiers and Dehumidifiers
Reload this Page >

Whirpool dehumidifier uses drain hose, but now fills the bucket, too. Why?

Old 07-31-11, 10:57 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a Whirlpool AD75U dehumidifier in my basement. It is 3 years old and is connected to a drain hose which runs to my sump pump. It has worked fine until just now. I noticed a few weeks ago that the bucket was full of water and the unit had stopped. I emptied the bucket, and verified that the drain hose was on tight, not obstructed, and that water was dripping into the sump pump. I also checked the filter, which was clean. It ran fine for a few weeks, but now the bucket is again full. I cannot tell the source of the water in the bucket because it seems to fill very slowly. Any ideas? The unit has a 5 year warranty on the sealed system. Would this be part of that? Thanks!!!

Old 07-31-11, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No...I think when they say sealed system they mean the compressor coils and such.

Possibly buildup of some sort has cause some of the water to be directed into the pan vs out the drain? Not obstructed too much...but just enough?

This is from another site with the very same issue...

You've done all the right things, except you couldn't get down in the hose connect tube far enough.

Use an 18" plastic Zip Tie, that will fit into the opening. Insert it until you reach a bend in the tubing. You need to gingerly work it past this bend and continue to push it in, until the Zip Tie bottoms out or you run out of usable Zip Tie. Slowly pull the Zip Tie out as you rotate (twist) it. This will break up the clog. As you reach the end of the Zip Tie coming back out, be prepared for some water to follow.
CAUTION: DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS THE MASTER ON/OFF SWITCH IS OFF AND THE UNIT IS UNPLUGGED.

Per My whirlpool dehumidifier has an attached hose in the outlet so we...

Old 07-31-11, 11:37 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip, but my hose is clear. After emptying it yesterday, I just checked it now. Water is dripping from the hose and the bucket is dry. Same as last time, but the bucket refilled over a few weeks, so I'm stumped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: