General Aire Bypass Flow Through Humidifier Leaking

Old 11-04-11, 10:01 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
General Aire Bypass Flow Through Humidifier Leaking

I have a General Aire bypass flow through type humidifier that I think has leaked since it was installed.
The drain is not blocked and nothing is cracked or anything like that. I suspect the air flow through it is moving/splashing/lifting water around inside and causing it to leak. It will leak/seep around where the drain pan connects to the unit and it will also seep around where the unit attaches to the plenum.
This is on a counterflow furnace. The furnace and all ductwork are fairly new. The humidifier is mounted to the return plenum on top of the furnace right where the air filters are mounted (two filters positioned like a V). The 6" ductwork into the humidifier is connected to the side of the furnace at the bottom (supply) side where the a-coil is.
It seems to work just fine but it has always leaked. I have taken it off a couple of times trying to seal the areas that should not require a seal but it continues to seep.
I want to fix this once and for all this season.
Thanks in advace for any ideas.
Rick

Old 11-04-11, 11:45 AM
Can you take a photo of this set up for us?

I've seen this happen at times, some pad had a paint strip on it.. That should be on the up/top side of the holder.

Old 11-04-11, 06:53 PM
R
Thanks for the reply Jay11J. I have used a new pad (General Aire OEM part) each year and have the same model humidifier on our second furnace and have no issues. The other furnace is not a counterflow so the ductwork is very different. I don't have a website set up where I can link pics from but will see if I can find a way.

Old 11-04-11, 07:11 PM
R
Here are some pics. The furnace is located in our pantry so I can't get far enough from it to get good pictures of the side where th ehumidifier is mounted. I hope these will do. Let me know if they don't. The supply air goes under the floor into the crawl space.

Last edited by ricksfairlane; 11-04-11 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-04-11, 07:53 PM
I'm not seeing anything that sticks out that can cause this.

Do you have the strip on the end of the pad on top?

Old 11-05-11, 05:38 PM
K
You could try turning the flow down a little at the valve in your water line. You only need enough water to saturate the pad.

Old 11-06-11, 04:27 PM
What's the model # on this unit?

Old 11-06-11, 08:07 PM
R
There does not seem to be excessive water on the pad but I will try closing the valve a bit.

Humidifier is General Aire Model 1042.

I checked the pad again and there is nothing other than the metal frame and 'absorbing' material. I am not sure what you mean by the "the strip on the end of the pad on top". Can you clarify?

Do you think that I am moving to much air or moving it to fast? The pipe attaches to the bottom of the furnace right where the a-coil is and that 6" pipe seems like it would be a path of much less resistance compared to the a-coil, especially with the angle of the coil so close.

Old 11-06-11, 09:49 PM
Ok, I looked your unit up.. (I've never seen this in person since I've always seen Honeywell or Aprilaire)

From what I see, your pad is not the same as what I've used/seen. It seems like there is "Bottom" stamped on the frame. So check to see if that is on the bottom.

You can try closing down the damper and see if that helps.

Also the orifice may be too large.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: