Any experience with PAPER humidifier pads?

Old 12-17-11, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any experience with PAPER humidifier pads?

I have a Trane 300 humidifier (similar to Aprilaire 600) and this fall I put in a white paper media pad instead of the usual coated metal mesh one. It is supposed to be higher efficiency and so will put more water in the air.

Now that it's been on just over a month, I see a lot of red mold/mildew on it. I remember the instructions say that it needs to be replaced at least once during the heating season, so it is not intended to last the whole winter.

I don't think I'd buy one again. Just wondering what the pros think of these?

The other thing I noticed today was some water dripping around the drain fitting and am wondering if the pad is saturated with water and thus maybe allowing too much water to go down the drain so it is having trouble keeping up with the flow down the drain?

Old 12-18-11, 10:14 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
OEM or aprilaire replacements are all that I use. NO honeywell or best air or other junk that is make of a paper type material. The red you found on the water panel is probably rust in the water.

Old 12-18-11, 01:11 PM
Thanks! I now can see the wisdom in OEM products.

Old 12-18-11, 07:59 PM
I've tried the paper type a couple of years ago, and it just don't hold up for a season.

It did work very well for the first few months, then where the water went down, it "drilled" a hole in the pad, it did not hold the water much.

So I went back to the Honeywell OEM and it lasted a whole season. It did run a bit more since the water isn't "held" on like the paper did.

The reddish color is normal. Not sure about the mold? It maybe the lime of your water?

Old 11-22-12, 08:26 AM
Update -- paper panel clogs drain line?

I decided to try these paper humidifier panels again this season to try to get more humidity into the air. Today noticed that the drain line was clogged and water spilling onto my basement floor. I recall now that I had this happen last season too so it seems to me that there is something about these paper panels that can cause clogging of the drain line. Will go back to the conventional metal mesh panel.

Anyone else see this?

Old 11-22-12, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,326 Votes on 1,225 Posts
And you were wondering what they did with recycled paper.

Old 11-22-12, 08:59 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
400E, just a comment.
If you need to increase your humidity in the winter, go to the source of the problem, too much air leakage. Usually there will be some big leaks or a leaky duct system that are increasing your infiltration of dry outside air. At least dry once you pay to heat it up . The benefits will be an easy increase in humidity and a reduction in your heating costs. A typical home exchanges all of its inside air every 2 to 3 hours. That is where your moisture is going and lots of your heating dollars.

Bud

Old 11-22-12, 12:03 PM
Great advice, everyone. Have ordered a genuine Aprilaire pad, and I will look into the air infiltration issue. Excellent point about bringing in dry outside air.

I think I will also replace the garden hose that the HVAC company used for the humidifier drain with PVC just to make it less likely to get clogged up in the future.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: