Aprilaire 700 and Trane XV80 - Installation help

Old 12-23-11, 11:00 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 700 and Trane XV80 - Installation help

I have recently bought Aprilaire 700 with automatic humidistat. I have trane XV80 furnace. Need some help in understanding how i should wire it up. Have gone through other posts and need some help on

1.) How to wire mains i.e. 110V for the humidifier itself. Should I hook it up in the furnace or plug it in a separate wall socket
2.) How to wire up the solenoid and humidistat w.r.t XV80

Old 12-23-11, 09:49 PM
T
well after reading and doing more information gathering this is what I understand

1.) On my furnace, I have Hot and Neutral HUM terminals which are 120V. So I suppose I can use them to power up my humidifier (not humidistat). I plan to install a receptacle powered from inputs from these terminals. Is this correct

2.) For hooking up my Humidistat, I got below wiring suggestion from one of the post

Humidistat ------- Fur
R----------------------R
C---------------------C
W-----------------W
G---------------G
Gf-------------G
H-------------HUM
H------------------ yellow wire to humidifier ---- other yellow wire to C on board

But I have XV80 furnace and the board has different terminals. Need to know how to hook up this one. Also I do not have HUM in 24V side. Given below is wiring diagram. Your inputs will greatly help. Also I have a jumper cable on w1$w2

Old 12-26-11, 01:47 PM
No, you do not want to wire as you posted.

The HUM on the furnace is 120 volts, so you need to add a transformer to drop down the power.

Do you plan on forcing the fan on to add humidity, or just do it on call of heat?

I'd suggest doing it on call of heat.

Old 12-26-11, 02:30 PM
T
Thanks for your reply Jay !!

You stated correctly, the HUM terminal is 120v. I realized after the post. This is how I ultimately wired it.

Furnace
HUM (120v) -> Humidifier Fan and transformer (used neutral from the main junction box).

Transformer 24v -> One wire to Humidistat (H) and another to Solenoid.

Other wire from Solenoid to Humidistat (H)
Hum --- Furnance
R --------- R
R --------- B/c
W --------- W1
G --------- G

I also preferred to run Humidifier when there is a call for heat. So far the testing looks fine to me. Let me know if you find any issue in above stated.

One more thing I need help on i.e. I have realized when the humidifier is running, lot of water is coming from drain. Seems like lot of water wastage. Is this normal or should I control the inflow to humidifier from Saddle valve ?

Old 12-26-11, 02:56 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hello, jay is taking a leave of absence... I can help you. DO NOT shut down the water flow. There is an orifice in the tubing that controls the water flow to the humidifier. Excess water is NORMAL.

Old 12-26-11, 03:56 PM
T
Sure NP !!

As of now I have left the valve open.

1.)Also I noticed that my furnace is switching off in may be 10 min. or so and then kicks off again in few minutes, not sure if humidistat can be causing it or this is just normal functioning and ma be happening due to outside temps.

2.) I also need confirmation for G wire connection. I have connected G->G, not sure if I should have connected it to Gf

Old 12-26-11, 04:32 PM
Hard to say about your furnace cycle. Most likely it was like that before and now you are just more aware of the furnace operation. G should be connected to G from stat. GF should be connected to G on furnace.

Old 12-26-11, 05:57 PM
T
I will move the cable on Humidistat to GF as thats connected to G on furnace. But I do not have access to G cable from Stat. Is it ok to leave that unwired, if not what issues I can face ?

Old 12-26-11, 08:11 PM
The issue will depend on your stat. On some stats it connects G and Y during off cycles so when the humidistat calls for fan it may pull your AC on. You should have access to the G from stat if you remove it from the furnace control board and wire nut and run a new wire to G on humidistat.

Old 12-26-11, 08:50 PM
T
Got it. I think this is true if I use the mode in which humidistat can turn blower on. As of now that its turned off. I think thats the reason, I do not see the issue. Currently humidifier comes on when there is a call for heat.
But I will switch the cables and wire the G's as per your suggestion.

Thanks a lot for all the help provided. This is very helpful site.

Old 01-16-12, 08:59 AM
B
Issue with the above wiring diagram

This past weekend I installed this same humidifier on this same furnace. However, I'm having an issue with the wiring diagram above.

The issue is that there is a terminal for each heating stage: W1 and W2. I wired the furnace W1-->W terminal on the humidistat (as above). However, when the furnace kicks to the second heating stage, the humidifier shuts off (apparently W1 is no longer live).

I'm not sure what the solution is - I'm not using the HUM terminals on the furnace (I installed a 120V outlet and the 24V transformer in a box with the switch for the furnace power on the side of the furnace). Should I install another 24V transformer and connect it to HUM neutral and hot, and run this to the W terminal on the humidistat? (I assume the HUM is only live when heat is called for).

Old 01-16-12, 04:30 PM
What t-stat do you have? The stat's I've seen W1 stays on along with W2.

Old 01-18-12, 07:35 AM
B
I have the TCONT 802. I'll try and test a little more thoroughly to verify that W1 does deactivate.

Old 01-18-12, 09:42 AM
It should not deactivate with that stat.

Old 01-18-12, 12:56 PM
I agree, the Honeywell/Trane W1 stays on along with W2.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: