Aprilare 700A on Trane Supply Plenum

Old 01-04-12, 03:07 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilare 700A on Trane Supply Plenum

I'm beginning the install of an Aprilare 700A on the supply plenum for my Trane furnace. The only possible location on the supply is in the housing that holds the A/C coil. I wanted to double check two things before proceeding:

1) This is a thicker gauge sheet metal than most of the duct work (see photo 1). Is this an acceptable place to cut into and install the humidifier?

2) Assuming the answer to (1) is yes: How far up on the section do I have to cut to avoid the A/C coil/lines, etc? The humidifier requires an opening of 14 5/16" - this is almost exactly the distance from the insulated line to the top of the section (see photo 2). I assume I have to be above this line.

Photo 1: The only place to install on the supply is on the face to the left of the one pictured (it's a blank space with plenty of room to work). The furnace below is a Trane XV 80, the A/C housing shown is model #4TXCC054AS3HCAA.

Photo 2: These are lines entering the section that is obscured by the exhaust in photo 1. The distance from the top of the black insulated line to the top of the unit is 14 7/8". I'm worried that if I have to be above this line, I don't have enough space, and will have to install on the return plenum.

Thanks for any help!

Old 01-04-12, 03:48 PM
K
Is there room for you to mount it on the return and run the bypass to the plenum? Either way, having the bypass or the humidifier itself on the door to the coil cabinet will make it slightly more difficult should you ever replace the A/C system or coil. Looking at the way the drain is positioned on the coil I assume you're looking at the coil from front to back when you're standing in front of the furnace. If that's the case you would probably have room to mount it there but be VERY cautious of your coil location. Ideally, you wouldn't want to mount anything right on the coil door but you say you have no other choice. Check things out and see... A 7" hole might be easier to put on the plenum than the humidifier would be.

P.S. Straighten that b-vent!

Old 01-04-12, 08:03 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
FYI, you will need to remove the drain pan on the side in order put the HUM in that location. Since you will have to have the coil out to remove the "Horizontal" drain pan it would be a good idea to install the HUM at the time so you can measure how tall the actual drain pan is so you know how high from the base to install the template to cut out the sheet metal.

You can install the HUM on the return, you will just need to provide a trap for the drain.

Old 01-05-12, 01:20 PM
B
You can install the HUM on the return, you will just need to provide a trap for the drain.
Could you elaborate on this? There is nothing in the instructions about needing a trap if installed on the return, and I'm not sure what kind of fittings would be used to connect the humidifier drain spud to a trap.

Old 01-05-12, 05:54 PM
The instructions tell you that it must be installed on the supply. The trap would keep the water in the drain from being sucked back up into the unit and spilling out. A trap can be configured out of the drain tube by simply putting a loop in the drain tube and using zip ties to hold the loop in place. OR you can construct the trap out of 3/4" pvc and the drain tube would need to sit in the water of the trap.

Old 01-05-12, 08:54 PM
I've never seen a trap used around here.. Must be a local code in your area?

Old 01-05-12, 09:02 PM
its not a local code. A powered Humidifier is designed to ONLY be installed on the supply. When you install them on the return they CAN (not always) pull water up through the drain. That is where the trap comes into play and stops that from happening.

1. Detach the cover assembly by
lifting the latch at the bottom.
Remove the Water Panel®
evaporator assembly by grasping
at top and tipping out. See Figure 1.
2. Position template on supply
plenum
. Make sure template is
level. Allow clearance for drain line
and for servicing. See “Installation
Options” on opposite side for
position relative to cooling coil.
Trace template outline. Cut 14-3/4”
wide x 14-5/16” high opening. Avoid
injury from sharp edges.

3. Position base (2) in duct opening
top-first so hooks engage sheet metal
at top. See Figure 2. Insert bottom of
base and slide down to engage hooks
at bottom.
4. Rotate swing locks to secure base
to duct. See Figure 3. Fasten base to
duct using 4 sheet metal screws in
holes provided.
5. Insert Water Panel Evaporator
assembly into base. Make sure bottom of
scale control insert (5) is over drain
opening. Snap top of evaporator assembly
into base.
6. Control installation and wiring.
Disconnect electrical power to furnace
before wiring control. In order for
humidifier to operate, furnace must be on
and RH must be below set-point of control.
Wiring diagrams illustrate recommended
method of detecting furnace operation.

Old 01-05-12, 09:11 PM
B
There are two diagrams in the instructions, a "typical installation" on the supply, and an "alternate installation" on the return which specifies plumbing the unit with hot water.

Old 01-05-12, 09:32 PM
yes, it does show that. But it does not say that in the instructions. Humidifiers should be plumbed with Hot water no matter the location in my opinion. I've installed a lot of these. I'm simply stating what I have come across. Take my advice or leave it, it makes me no difference. I feel you are being argumentative and am unsure why you are commenting on this thread when you did not start the thread to begin with.

Old 01-07-12, 08:16 AM
B
I'm sorry, I did not mean to be argumentative, and I commented because I will be helping the OP with the installation. I do appreciate your advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: