Aprilaire 700A/Model 60 Humidistat to Amana AMVC95

Old 01-07-12, 04:31 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 700A/Model 60 Humidistat to Amana AMVC95

Hi,

Replaced an older 760a with new 700a with Model 60 Humdistat and the wiring is completely different. The old 760a had 2 wires coming from the furnace which went to the R & C terminals on the 24v coil (which looks like a transformer to me). When I use these to connect to the R & C terminals on the Model 60, there is no voltage (should be 24v from what I understand).

I am thinking that the R & C terminals should go somewhere else on the furnace but I cannot figure out where. I see a lug connector on the main board that is unused that says 'HUM' - should one of the wires go there? but then where does the other wire go? (talking the R&C from the Model 60).

Thanks for any help,
MArk

Old 01-07-12, 05:06 PM
M
More info ...

Apparently, the 'coil' that the old humidifier was plugged into was actually a fan relay (white-rodgers 90-293q) - I assume this told the old humidifier that the fan was running and to turn on if the humidistat called for humidity. I wired the R & C from ther model 60 to the relay (it said 24v so I assumed it was output). I'm assuming this didn't hurt the board on the model 60 since it wasn't line voltage. I have detached these now and still back to my original question - where do I attach the R & C leads to my Amana AMVC95?

Old 01-07-12, 05:35 PM
M
last thing ...

The W from the Model 60 goes to the W from the thermostat and then it goes to C on the furnace board - is this right? If the C from the model 60 (see my original question) goes to the C on the furnace then won't there be an issue? or is this like a neutral?

Old 01-08-12, 11:48 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
pictures will help tremendously. The 760 did not need an external transformer. You are correct that the new system has all new wiring so we should start all over. I can give you a wiring diagram that will allow the humidifier to only run when the furnace is running which is what I recommend. Help me to help you by posting some pictures of what you have posted about so far. Because you dont know the correct terminology of the things you are speaking about it is hard for me to follow.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/hu...st-photos.html

Old 01-08-12, 02:21 PM
M

On the far left is the Fan Relay that the old humidifier hooked up to. There is a red and white wire coming out of it (actually two sets of red & white wires). Originally this is what I connected to the humidistat. There is a transformer on the bottom of the picture which outputs 24v and there is a lug connector labeled HUM at the top of the control board (image below).

I have hooked everything else up except the R & C terminals for the power to the humidistat. The blower on the furnace works fine after the connections. My only other question is the connection for the 'W' terminal on the humidistat which I posted about below - it is presently connected to the white wire from the thermostat which then connects to the furnace board at the 'C' connector (in the image above right above the transformer - hard to see). Thanks for any help - I appreciate it.

Old 01-08-12, 02:37 PM
what wire is hooked to W at the control board? I'm not sure you are following the wiring correctly. If W from the stat never went to W on the control board then the furnace never would have heated.

Old 01-08-12, 06:55 PM
M
Best that I can tell - 'W' on the control board isn't used. There's a 4-plug adapter going into the control board labeled: 1-2-R-C (there's an unused 10-adapter plug on the bottom of the blower compartment - the unused plugs next to the 4-plug adapter includes one marked 'W' - you can see both (green above the transformer) in the picture behind some wires - you can't plug both the 4-plug adapter and the 10-plug adapter into the board at the same time). The bundle of white wires (you can see in the first pic with the orange cap) has 5 wires going into it including one that i connected to W on the humidistat. The other wires go to the thermostat, the A/C, the fan relay, and then to the 4-plug adapter marked 'C'. That is what I dont understand. The furnace has been in operation for over a year without a problem so I assume the tech did it correctly. However, I am confused as to why the white wire bundle connects to 'C' on the furnace board. I also don't know where to plug R & C on the humidistat into the furnace board.

Old 01-10-12, 04:55 PM
M
Any ideas on this? Perhaps a quick wiring diagram as how the model 60 should connect to the AMVC 95? Appreciate any thoughts! Thanks.

Old 01-10-12, 06:22 PM
sounds like your stat is a communicating system. However, you said that when you put R to R and C to see that you had no voltage or the HUMIDISTAT would not power up. Did you ever connect anything to the HUM terminal on the control board? I hope not as that is 120V.

Old 01-10-12, 09:08 PM
M
No, never hooekd up to the HUM terminal. Just connected to the red & white wires from the fan relay - the same way the old humidifier was connected.

Yes, the stat is a communicating system - it appears to be a white-rodgers device and the furnace control board is by Emerson Climate which makes White-Rodgers (or vice-versa).

Old 01-11-12, 04:28 AM
I'm working on a schematic for you. You said that you have the G and Gf hooked up on the humidistat? What terminal do they connect to on the furnace control board if you only have R,C,1,2? FYI, wire color does not mean that is what terminal it is connected to at either the stat or the control board. IE, G could be a yellow wire.

Old 01-11-12, 08:50 AM
M
I connected the G terminal on the model 60 to the green wire from the thermostat and the Gf terminal to the green wire from the furnace control board (and the a/c compressor). Everything is functioning normally with the furnace at the moment. The green wire connects to '1' on the furnace control board.

Since the humidistat doesn't have power at the moment, I am assuming it is designed to 'fail-safe' and pass thru the signal from the thermostat to the furnace / a/c and allow them both to operate - correct?

Old 01-11-12, 05:50 PM
yes, it is allowing them to operate due to pass thru. However, you need to remove that connection because it is incorrect and will not work. I probably wont get the schematic done tonight as I just got home from a full day on a roof in the RAIN.

Old 01-11-12, 06:25 PM
I need to to test something as I can not find any info on this in any of the manuals for your system. Please turn the thermostat to heat or have someone do this while you have the blower door off and are holding the door switch in. Then you need to check AC voltage between W and C. I can make it work with out this info, but if you get 24V at these connections the system will be less confusing. Can you verify this for me?

BTW,
Stat manual
Furnace Manual

Old 01-12-12, 09:23 AM
M
You're supposed to stay under a roof in the rain! I appreciate the continued help. Since W isn't being utilized at the moment, I assume that I will just bridge from that over to C (which is being utilized) on the furnace board - correct? I will test tonight when I am back home. Thanks again.

Old 01-12-12, 09:33 AM
M
Also, the wiring diagram in the furnace manual you sent looks different than the one on the back of the blower door. Also, neither show the fan relay that the installer put in which was connected to the old humidifier as well as two additional wires, one going to the white wire bundle from the stat/a/c/etc and a red wire going to the burner compartment (all low voltage wires).

Old 01-12-12, 03:22 PM
Yes, you will test the unoccupied terminal W and the occupied terminal C on the control board. You will need to test for voltage from W to C.

As you said that the relay was not on the diagram, you also stated that the Installer put it on. Therefore it would not be on the diagram as it was field installed. Can you tell what the 2 other wires are going to or what the wire they are attached to go to?

Old 01-14-12, 09:27 AM
M
There is a W1 and W2 terminal on the furnace board so I tested both to C and there wasn't any voltage registered on either. The fan relay is a White-Rodgers 90-293Q model. There are two sets of red & white wires connecting to it - one pair that went to the old humidifier and the other pair connects as follows: white to the white wire bundle that connects to C on the furnace board and the red wire goes to the burner compartment. Here's a link to what it looks like: Patriot Supply - 90-293Q

Old 01-14-12, 09:41 AM
where in the burner compartment does the red wire connect? I need to know this.

Old 01-14-12, 02:30 PM
M
plugs into a device labeled Low Fire PS1 (this part also is labeled with -0.50) along with another wire on the same lug connector

Old 01-14-12, 02:43 PM
Old 01-14-12, 03:04 PM
M
I assume from this that the W terminal goes to the red wire from the fan relay heading to the Low Fire PS1 - correct? The fan relay stays in place - correct? Also, I already have G & Gf wired into furnace/stat - this can remain - correct?

Thanks again for your diligence on this - I truly appreciate it! If you're ever in downtown Chicago (see your from IN) will be happy to buy you a beer!

Old 01-14-12, 04:51 PM
W on humidistat goes to the red wire connected to Low Fire PS1

The fan relay is removed.

Remove G and Gf from the humidistat. Green should go directly from stat to furnace.

Old 01-16-12, 01:06 PM
M
OK - everything is working correctly. It seems however that the humidistat is registering below actual humidity levels in the house, but I will play with the settings and see how it reacts. Thanks again for all of your help! -M

Old 01-16-12, 04:02 PM
I do not like humidstats mounted to the return ductwork. I would much reather see them in the living space to get an accurate reading.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: