Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Humidifiers and Dehumidifiers
Reload this Page >

Wiring Honeywell HE260 standalone humidifier to Nest Thermostat and furnace

Old 11-08-12, 03:56 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I currently have an HE260 humidifier that is plugged into a 120v transformer that came with the unit, has a humidistat and a sail switch. The solenoid on the humidifier is 24v. It is NOT connected to my Carrier 56MSA100 furnace in any way right now. Upstairs I have a fairly plain thermostat with W, Rh, G and Y terminals hooked up.

I'd like to purchase a Nest 2.0 thermostat and hook up my humidifier so I realize I may need an extra wire upstairs (the current cable is only 4 wires). I saw the diagram for the HE220 hook up but because my humidifier isn't hooked up to the furnace or existing thermostat, I'm not sure how to hook it up.

I'm thinking I have to hook it up with one side of the solenoid to the furnace and the other side to the * terminal in the Nest thermostat and bypass the humidistat and the sail switch because they are just switches. I also need to disconnect the transformer because I'll get 24v from the furnace (in some way).

I emailed Nest support asking if they use outside temperature in controlling the humidifier but haven't heard back. I do not have an external sensor so this would make it useful (other than remote control).

One more wrinkle (for me at least), both wires on the solenoid for the humidifier are black. It is hooked up like the instructions say here on the bottom of page 6.

Do you have any advise on how to hook it up to the furnace/Nest or should I just forget it and not control the humidifier from the Nest?

Thank you very much for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-12, 04:04 PM
You are thinking right.

the 24 volts don't matter on the valve, so one wire goes to C at the furnace, and other wire goes to * at the stat.

When you pull new wires, pull 18-8 wire, that way you are ready for upgrade down the road like a two stage furnace.

Old 11-09-12, 07:24 AM
S
Thank you for your help Jay11J,

I have already placed my order for the Nest Second Gen and am looking forward to my DIY install.

Old 11-19-12, 06:41 AM
Let us know if you need any help or anything else, have a great week!