Help Wiring my NEST v2

Old 12-08-12, 08:37 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Wiring my NEST v2

Hello All,

I have a RUUD Achiever Super Quiet 80 along with an Aprilair 550 Humidifier. I have a basic Aprilair thermostat that would be replaced by the nest and right below I have a manual aprilair humidity controller with 2 wires coming into it... do you think it would be a lot of work for me to get the Nest to control the temperature and humidifier?

Thank you for your help!

Old 12-09-12, 07:52 AM
How many wire do you have going up to the current t-stat?

Old 12-09-12, 12:51 PM
A
I have 4... W Y G and Rh with a C cable between Rh and Rc

Old 12-09-12, 01:22 PM
Ok, if you are able to pull the old humidstat wire together w/ the t-stat, then you can use the that wire.. One to C and other to * on the new stat.

With the same color on the other end at the furnace, * to one of the wire on the humidifier solenoid coil, and other wire to C on the furnace.

The C at the stat goes to C on the furnace.

Old 12-09-12, 09:11 PM
A
Ok great.. Thanks for your help! Now the 2 cables that are hooked to the manual humidifier controller.. shouldn't they already be connected to the solenoid and furnace? Or I should just make sure that the * goes to the solenoid and C to furnace...

Old 12-09-12, 09:40 PM
Yes, one side is hooked up to maybe a transformer, and you'll have to undo that. The other wire will then go to the solenoid coil on the humidifier.

Old 12-10-12, 07:15 PM
A
I just checked the connection in my Furnace and it looks like the cable going from the manual humidifier controller is already connected on the C in the furnace and solenoid.. I guess all I have to do is reroute the cables in my living room.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Old 12-10-12, 09:19 PM
Just match that same color of that wire group to C at the t-stat, then undo the other wire.

Old 12-11-12, 10:59 PM
A
Ok So I finally managed to reroute the humidistat old wires and installed the nest. When I put everything in, the nest would say that i does not sense any power in the Rh connector.. so I looked on nest support and one suggestion was to remove the C wire..which I did, and Nest started sensing power in the Rh wire... now it is not sensing the humidifier and actually it was not sensing the humidifier before.. I made sure the wiring is what you said.. C from furnace to C on stat and the * wire to the solenoid.... Hmm now that I think.. there is a wire going from the solenoid to the furnace... should I disconnect this one??? Would that be my problem?

Old 12-12-12, 07:04 AM
Do you have the other wire from the solenoid on the humidifier going to C?

Old 12-12-12, 08:56 AM
A
No.. I made sure that the C wire from the Thermostat goes directly to the C on furnace. And the * wire goes to the Solenoid first and then to the Furnace slot for the humidifier.

My question is...
Do I need the * wire to go from the tstat to the Solenoid and then to the Furnace? or do I just need it to go from the tstat to the solenoid.

Old 12-12-12, 01:29 PM
then to the Furnace slot for the humidifier
Your furnace has HUM on it? NO, you don't hook that wire up to that. that is hot and may burn/short out something..

The wire needs to go to C.

Old 12-12-12, 04:30 PM
A
Ok, so here is how I wired the furnace, humidifier and NEST... I still have the same issue:
When C is connected to the NEST, no power is detected in Rh (I even tried disconnecting the C from furnace.. same issue)
When C is disconnected from NEST, it does not have power in the * connector..so Humidifier is not working...

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Also, before I disconnected the old humidistat, I noticed that the C wire from the furnace was connected to the Solenoid and then went to the humidistat whereas the red wire was connected directly from the humidistat to the Y slot in the furnace...

Last edited by anaim; 12-12-12 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-12-12, 09:14 PM
Wonder why the had the humidifier wired to Y before?? That only comes on when the A/C is on....

But yeah, C----solenoid-----* is correct..

I've had other people posting here w/ the same issue... I afraid I can't help you anymore.. You'll have to leave this up to Nest on what to do.

Old 12-13-12, 08:26 AM
A
Sounds good.. Thank you for all your help though! I was wondering since I read in the NEST website that I may need a relay in order for the humidifier to work... I also saw many post on the forum about using a relay. Do you think that would be something I need to have it work?

As for the humidifier being connected to the A/C.. I think they did it because A/C usually reduces humidity when running??? who knows... Obviously it's not a big issue since the NEST is working normally and have no issues with it.

Old 12-13-12, 12:29 PM
No, relay is not needed for your unit. It's a basic unit, where HOneywell fan powered unit has it's own power so the relays are needed for them to keep the power way from *, otherwise it will short out and burn out the transformer.

Old 12-13-12, 02:34 PM
A
Please forgive my ignorance here.. but I re read some earlier posts from this thread and now I'm puzzled... The following figure represents how I connected the humidifier... My question is.. do I need a connection from the Solenoid to the C in the furnace? (in red?) - It would make sense since it would be a closed circuit instead of an open one...

Old 12-13-12, 03:42 PM
A
.. I just tried connecting the C from the furnace to the C on Nest without the * wire... And of course Rh has no power and Woc is about 5V... why would it not work??? is the nest faulty? or maybe the wires need to be changed?

I also read somewhere that one way of connecting a humidifier is to connect one end of the solenoid to the * on the nest..and the other end of the Solenoid to the C on the furnace... but it is not advised.. What do you think? would that solve the problem?

Again..thank you so much for your help!!!..You guys are clearly more responsive then NEST customer service..

Old 12-13-12, 06:23 PM
Your drawing is correct.

read somewhere that one way of connecting a humidifier is to connect one end of the solenoid to the * on the nest..and the other end of the Solenoid to the C on the furnace... but it is not advised.. What do you think? would that solve the problem?

Where did you read that this way is not advised?

Old 12-13-12, 07:49 PM
A
By correct you mean I have to get the red connection from the solenoid to the C on the furnace?

Not on this forum.. but I read that if I connect the way it was described, then if something goes wrong with the solenoid then it can damage the furnace too. Is that true?

Old 12-13-12, 08:58 PM
Correct, you want the wire from the solenoid to the furnace.

No, that is not true... if something wrong with the solenoid, it won't work.. won't damage the furnace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: