Effectiveness of drum humidifier configuration...

Old 01-02-13, 12:18 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Effectiveness of drum humidifier configuration...

New to this site, but I have already gotten quite a bit of good info from reading other posts. I wanted to get an outside opinion on the configuration of a humidifier that I recently had installed.

This is a Honeywell HE120 By-Pass Drum Humidifier. The person who installed it for me is definitely reputable and experienced. It's hard to say if this thing is making much of a difference. After reading several threads here about this sort of thing, I have a much better understanding of the whole thing.

The way that this is currently mounted is on the return side, with the bypass routed to the supply/feed side. This seems like the right way to do it (though some say it doesn't matter anyway). However, the furnace has a sort of " T " on the supply side. Rather than routing the bypass to the center of the t point (prior to the split), the bypass is mounted to one side of the T...

That being said, I would probably be capable of cutting a new hole and re-routing this to a more central location, but I just wanted to get an opinion on how much this would/could help? I suppose that moving air is going in all different directions, but if this is essentially being fed to one side of the " T ", does this essentially only humidify half of my house?

Any input would be great. I could snap a pic or two, if that would help.

Thanks,

Adam

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-13, 12:42 PM
No, not half of the house is getting humidity this way.. The air is coming from the supply side, and going into the humidifier, then mixed into the air in the return, and that air then is going out to the house evenly.

So the set up is just fine.

Old 01-02-13, 12:47 PM
A
Thanks for the quick reply. I hate to do it, but I just have to ask...

The bypass has a little cover that can be swung open or closed. Right now it's open... Is that correct? In other words, it sounds like you are saying that the air is getting humidity as it comes through the return, and this bypass thing is not the main feed? Sorry if that seems so obvious, but I don't want to assume. Thanks for your help...

-Adam

Old 01-02-13, 12:58 PM
Correct, the air is bypassing into the humidifier then into the return.

LEave the damper open in the heating season, then come spring, close it, turn off the water, clean the tray and replace the pad. Then comes fall, turn it back on open the damper.

Old 01-02-13, 01:03 PM
A
Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it.

Adam