Humidifier hooked up to Prestige

Old 01-13-13, 06:34 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Humidifier hooked up to Prestige

To find manual for the he 265, I think you need to search at the humidistat model:H1008A,D Automatic Humidity Controls

Old 01-13-13, 07:03 PM
F
Prestige ythx9421

Hi everyone.
I have a question about this thermostat.
I have a thermopride hot air oil fired furnace, a trane a/c and a bypass humidifier he 265 with humidicalc h1008 a.
The humidifier is wired to the orange wire of the furnace blower (low speed) so that when there is a call for heat and humidity,the humidifier solenoid will open when the low speed fan starts running.
I recently replaced my old thermostat with the prestige and would like to let the thermostat control the humidity.
So I set up the Prestige to :humidity on heat only , and i dedicated u1 dry contacts to the humidifier.
I took one of the two wires that comes from the humidistat and opens the solenoid, and I routed it thru u1and back to the solenoid.
The problem that I'm having is that it seems that u1 contact is controlled by the high speed of the blower. So now whenever there is a call for heat, the fan comes on at the same time as the burner starts and is the high speed and since the humidifier is wired to work of the low speed it wont come on.Also when the humidity feature is off, the heat works again off the low speed fan and the fan doas not go on until the chamber is hot,wich I think it would be the proper way.
So my question is: Is there a way to operate the u1 connectors without having the fan come on in the high speed, but instead come on in the low speed?
I'm sorry if I may sound very confusing ,and thank you all in advance

Old 01-13-13, 07:37 PM
I moved your post away from the thread that you posted in to avoid any confusion.

You're using the manual humidistat along with the Prestige IAQ thermostat?

YOu do not need the manual humidistat.

Where did you read on how to wire the dry contact to the blower line voltage wire???

You wire it like it's shown on page 15 on the install manual. Adding a jumper wire from one of the R's down one side of U1. Other side of U1 wired to the solenoid valve, and other side of the valve to C.

Old 01-14-13, 07:33 PM
F
Thank you for moving the post. It's first time that I post something.
Yes I'm still using the humidistat and the prestige.but it's set to max. It may be less confusing if I remove it alltogheter.
The dry wire you refer to is the u1? if so, I just ran one of the 24v feed wire from the humidistat into the u1 and then back out to the humidifier ,so that u1 will act as a switch.
The 24v transformer that activate the solenoid valve is energized by the orange wire of the low limit,so that when the blower goas on, the transformer sends power to the solenoid.
And that's how it was wired originally in exeption of the u1 .Is it normal tha every time the u1 led on the EIM lights up ,the fan lights up too,but instead of starting the blower on low speed it starts on high,even though I selected humidifing only on heat? Page 15 makes a lot of sense, but I have a friend who is a hvac contractor and i suggested to wire the humidifier the way I did. His not too familiar with prestige.
I would like to be able to use the humidifier on the low fan speed if posssible,and have the option to be able to turn the humidifier on even when the thermostat is not calling for heat,because I use a woodstove a lot and my house gets very dry.
So now when the thermostat turns the furnace on, the blower starts to run at high speed without waiting for the heat excanger to get hot first,and then when the burner stops,so the blower doas, but then after while the low limit kicks in. It' not how it used to operate.
Tomorrow I will go ahead and wire as page 15 indicates.
Thank you for your feedback and at this point I would like for you to review the entire EIM wiring.Tha is if you don't mind.
I'll try to figure out how to post some pics tomorrow.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/hu...#ixzz2I0iTKClu

Last edited by Francesc; 01-14-13 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-14-13, 08:52 PM
What is the model # on the furnace?

The blower shouldn't be kicking in right away... Something is not wired up right here..

Old 01-15-13, 09:28 PM
F
the model is:thermopride #OL5-85RDA.
It only doas it when the humidifier feature in the prestige is set to go on,otherwise the burner will start, then when it reach the proper temp, the low speed fan kicks in.
Jay11j ,thank you for tryng to help.

Old 01-16-13, 06:05 AM
I'll get back to you this evening after I get home from work.

Old 01-16-13, 03:16 PM
F
I'll try to explain how the EIM is wired to the fan center (r8222d 1006) and the furnace burner(r8184g 1427)
This is a 2 transformers system. I found some other instructions from honeywell under the code 68-0311-01 page 6 Wiring 24 v common (for some rison this info was not on the instructions that came with my prestige)
EIM- c to fan center c
EIM- r jumped to rc
EIM- rc to fan center r
Removed jumper between EIM rc rh
EIM-rh to red wire from burner 24 v
White wire from burner 24v to fan center w
EIM-g to fan center g
EIM-y to fan center y
EIC-w to fan center w
Can I still use the diagram on page 15 #(m32394)of the prestige to connect my humidifier ?

Old 01-16-13, 07:15 PM
You are correct on the wire hook up.

For the humidifier, add a jumper between r/rc down to U1, then wire other to humidifier, then other wire from humidifier to C.

Then you can go into the t-stat set up menu to have the humidifier to turn the fan on of humidity is needed w/ out the furance running.

I'd suggest hooking it up to hot water since you won't have heat helping out.

Old 01-16-13, 07:42 PM
F
I rewired the humidifier as page15 but there was no 24 volts out of the red wire from the furnace transformer. I thing because the red wire starts to send 24 volts when the low limit or low speed kicks in,Wich it never did because as I set the thermostat to humidity only whe heat is on,it automatically starts the furnace and the high speed fan at the same time,so the low limit never comes on.
I also thing that there may be another problem.The white wire from the furnace transformer is connected to the w of the fan center listed below and from there is going to the w on the EIM.
Should this white wire from the furnace transformer be connected to the c of the EIM? Right now I have the c from the fan center transformer connected to the c on the EIM,but not the white wire from the furnace transformer.
I was wandering if there is any chance that I can speak to you over the phone about this matter ?

Old 01-16-13, 08:11 PM
F
I just read your response about the r rc jumper instead of rh right?
But then will the humidifier work whe there is a call for heat?
Is it ok to have the heat working with the high speed fan?
I have the orange wire from the low limit connected to the L terminal on the blower . The red high speed wire connected to the MH terminal of the blower for air conditioning season but during winter i switch the red wire right next to the orange near the ML terminal ,so that when i turn the fan on to circulate the air or to humidify,it doas not blow too fast.
Is there a way to do this automatically,instead of me manually switching the wires around every season?
Also I installed an electronic air filter wich it turns on when the fan is on low and also when it is on high. It was one of the feature of the fan center that would allow to do that without the need of a sail switch or current sensing relay.Why cant the Humidifier work in the same way ,in low or high speed?

Old 01-16-13, 09:00 PM
Wire it to R/RC.

When you set the set up menu to have it WILL come on call for heat. I don't suggest having it come on w/ fan only.

Do you have A/C?

Old 01-17-13, 04:39 AM
F
Yes.I do have a/c.
What do you think about the White 24 v wire from the furnace transformer wired to the w terminal on EIM and fan center? Is that where it supposed to be?

Old 01-17-13, 06:19 AM
How many BTU/Ton is the A/C?

Do you have any papers works showing how many CFM each blower speed blows? (They are not showing it online)

NO! DO NOT wire transformer C to W!!!! That stays on C side of the EIM, and W to W.

Old 01-17-13, 06:35 PM
F
The heating is 85000 btu and the cooling is 2 1/2 or 3 not shure but the cfm required was 1000,so I think they installed a 3 ton.
The speeds are:
.2 .5 w.c.

@HI- SPEED 1726 1493
@MH-SPEED 1320 1213
@ML -SPEED 1066 1483
@ L - SPEED 848 764
The raccomended speed for 3 TON COOLING is MED-HI
for 42000 BTUS HTG is MED-LOW
So I wired the humidifier with the rc and when the stat is set to humidity only when heating and there is a call for humidity, the blower comes on MH few seconds after the burner and it stops togheter with the burner.
When the humidity is satisfied,the blower comes on L after the burner is completely heated,wich is how it used to be.
So whenever there is a call for humidity the fan comes on at the cooling speed and not at the heating speed.

Old 01-17-13, 06:51 PM
F
The fan center is actually model #r8285b total comfort

Old 01-18-13, 07:09 PM
I don't understand how or why the fan comes on w/ the call of humidity when it's set to heat only.

You took the other humidist out of the picture?

Old 01-19-13, 06:34 PM
F
Yes .I did take the humidistat of. It seems like that (humidity during heating only) its probably just a prevention to keep the humidifier from going on during cooling by accident.
And like I said if there is no call for humidity, the thermostat does not turn the high speed fan on, but it works as it should, in the low speed setting.I don't know if this is a defective unit or that's how honeywell designed. I try to contact Honeywell in regard of this matter, but they refuse to talk to me since I'm not a licensed contractor.
If that's how the unit is supposed to work, do you know if there is a way around it to keeping from working like it is?

Old 01-19-13, 06:38 PM
Ok, I am confused........

Do you have the fan set to "ON" at the t-stat?

Old 01-21-13, 05:38 AM
F
No.The fan only comes on when there is a call for heat. It comes on low when the call is heat only,and it comes on high if the call is heat and humidity.

Old 01-21-13, 06:35 AM
Go into setting, and see what the setting is saying for#374.

Old 01-21-13, 07:08 PM
F
I don't thing I have that number in my thermostat .
My thermostat model #thx 9421.

Old 01-21-13, 08:47 PM
It should in the installer advance menu.

Old 01-22-13, 10:03 AM
F
In the advanced option it only lists: nodify thermostat settings using usb, restore factory defaults.

Old 01-22-13, 12:40 PM
Ok.

When you go into the set up menu, do you see humidify to force fan on?

Old 01-22-13, 08:41 PM
F
Yes I do.It say's: on demand fan controls humidifier ,on demand humidifire controls fan, humidity when in cooling mode and humidity when heat is on only. Mine is set to :humidity when heat is on only.

Old 01-23-13, 06:51 AM
Just for kicks, remove the G wire on the EIM for now, and see if anything changes.

Old 01-23-13, 01:58 PM
F
I already did that before ,and the heat was working as supposed to in the low speed.But,off course, if I wanted to control the fan from the thermostat (like circulate) the fan won't come on.

Old 01-23-13, 08:03 PM
Ok, I am guessing there may be a defect in the control if it's turning on the higher speed when the humidifier is calling for humidity.

I'd contact the place where you brought this from and replace this under warranty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: