Dehumidifiers ad air cooling

Old 06-02-13, 12:52 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dehumidifiers ad air cooling

Just wondering if a dehumidifier will help to cool a RV? Our ac is not able to keep up in our RV but we have a dehumidifier as well. I looked at a window unit (ac) but could not find one small enough to fit our rollout windows which are only 13 inches in height. I really do not want to purchase a rolling ac unit if I can help it. Can't add another roof unit per RV service dept.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-13, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
Unfortunately a dehumidifier will add some heat to the room.

A dehumidifier is a miniature air conditioner. It takes the air in......it passes over the cold coil where the water condenses and then passes thru the condensor coil to help cool the unit. The hot air is discharged into the room .... unlike an air conditioner where the hot air is discharged outside.

Old 06-02-13, 04:46 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi Beehive,
I assume they are telling you your current ac unit is working fine? I'm not an HVAC pro, they are watching , but I would start by measuring the temperature at the return and supply registers. There are better places to check the temps, but this is easy and will give an indication as to how well the ac unit is working.

Now, from another approach, you can check out where all of that heat is coming from. I'm not familiar with RVs, but you might be able to reduce the heat load before your ac has to deal with it.

Is your RV anchored or do you move it a lot?

Bud

Old 06-03-13, 04:14 PM
B
Hi Bud9051. We are anchored, the RV has full length windows and glass sliding doors in the living room. The sun rises on the back(bedroom) and sets on the living room with the large windows. We have it underpinned and are filming the windows. We will probably end up getting another ac unit but was trying to avoid that expense.

Old 06-03-13, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
As a rule......RV's are not fairly well insulated as their walls are fairly thin. Also the ductwork is not usually very effective either. A single air conditioner is borderline for most units.

Old 06-03-13, 04:33 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
If there is anything you can do to create shade, that would help. Some aluminum panels on the roof where they can't be seen would reflect the radiant heat. airstream has the right idea. Like PJ says, insulation isn't a high priority with RVs.

Bud

Old 06-06-13, 04:13 PM
Y
Anyone know of a good brand? We have tried a few smaller and cheaper ones, but haven't really noticed a huge temperature change. Of course, it might just be a case of the you get what you pay for, so any recommendations would be gladly accept.