Seeking Opinions on Dehumidifier Options

Old 08-18-13, 05:37 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Seeking Opinions on Dehumidifier Options

I have a house in WV and have really bad condensation issues in the basement due to humidity and a cold concrete floor. The upstairs gets a little uncomfortable on humid days, but no condensation. I've gotten an estimate for a whole house dehumidifier. The options are 1) go with a 65 pint unit only in the basement, or 2) a 90 pint unit ducted to the whole house. The upstairs is 1800 sq ft, basement is 1000 sq ft. since the basement gets so damp/wet, am I better off with just the basement unit, or will the whole house ducted unit be enough to correct the basement? There is no A/C in the house. Best solution is central A/C with the basement only unit, but that is not in the budget. The cost of the two dehumidifier options is basically the same. Looking at Honeywell DR65 or DR90.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-13, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,169 Votes on 1,084 Posts
The cost of the two dehumidifier options is basically the same.
How can that be ?

One is a plug-in stand alone unit and the other has duct work that would need to be installed.

The basement one is probably all you really need for there.

Old 08-18-13, 08:42 PM
L
The whole house is $2800 standalone is $2400. They will use the heat ducts for the whole house or install a standalone supply and return for the basement unit. I know the basement unit alone will be fine for just the basement. What I'm trying to figure out is if the whole house unit will be good enough to control the basement humidity while providing extra comfort upstairs. I'd like to get the whole house, but don't want to find out later that the basement humidity is still not under control.

Old 08-22-13, 05:05 PM
L
Anyone want to hazard an opinion?

Old 08-22-13, 10:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,169 Votes on 1,084 Posts
My opinion..... dehumidify the basement only. That's what I do with a large stand alone unit. I have central air but don't use it all the time. The biggest problem with any dehumidifier is the unwanted heat it generates.

Old 08-23-13, 08:12 AM
T
Received 16 Votes on 12 Posts
The moisture in the whole house is most likely elevated because of the basement issue.
Dry that up first and save for a/c in the living area of the house.