Wiring Help Honeywell HE260A

Old 09-12-13, 04:48 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Help Honeywell HE260A

I have yet to see a forum about the wiring with a standard non-furnace wired install on these so I'm creating a new one. I'm using all the included parts with the HE260A and the Honeywell install kit they recommend.

I have everything hooked up and between the terrible instructions and video I think I may have something wrong. I'm getting a hum from the transformer you plug into the wall as well as a lot of heat coming from it. Is the hum and heat normal, it gets quite hot? Also, is there a way to test this due to it being summer not winter.

Attached is my wiring diagram of how I have things connected. What angers me here is both the manual and the video reference wires on the humidifier that are not the same color as the one I have. This tells me they have bad QC on that sort of thing.

This page includes all the manuals for the unit and installation kit.
HE260

This video is also what I used to install it. It came on a DVD and is slightly different but very close.
Honeywell, whole house humidifier, installation video - YouTube

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-13, 09:10 AM
I looked at the installation manual and can see what you mean about the poor wiring instructions. I also watched the video at the link you provided. Based upon the wiring diagram you provided you have it wired exactly like the demo in the video. As far as the transformer, most transformers do buzz a little and are warm to the touch. If they start to really get loud that is usually an indication they are starting to go bad. It should not be "quite hot". If you disconnect the two wires does it continue to hum and remain quite hot? I would remove the two wires and test the outgoing voltage to see if it is putting out the proper voltage.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 09-12-13 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-12-13, 10:12 AM
T
Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot tonight and report back.

Old 09-12-13, 02:54 PM
T
Not good

I don't have a volt meter or really a lot of knowledge on their usage to test this. However I plugged the transformer in with nothing plugged in and it was fine. Putting the wires back on and plugging in it sounded fine at first, then gradually gets louder. You can actually feel it vibrate.

Honeywell phone support sends you right to India and they don't help at all. She told me to make a "square" with the wires and put one device in each corner. It doesn't matter what color wire goes where. Seems like that's not true to me based on the video. Anyway I asked her to send me a copy of what she was looking at and guess what i got? The manual in .pdf format. So I'm back to nothing here...

Old 09-12-13, 07:38 PM
Yes, it is frustrating trying to get customer support. I will do more research on your issue and hopefully we will be able to come up with a solution. I'll get back with you when I get more info. Here is a link to a thread that discusses your unit:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/hu...-he360a.html#b

Hopefully you might be able to glean some info.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 09-12-13 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-13-13, 07:59 AM
Here is another informative link on your humidifier installation: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/hu...furnace.html#b

It details how to wire the system directly to the furnace if you have the proper connections on your control board. I also found a wiring diagram on the internet that shows how one person wired the system and claims it worked. I re-drew the crude diagram.

Old 09-13-13, 08:18 AM
T
Thanks a lot for this, makes more sense. I'll give it a shot next week. I'm off on vacation for a few days!

Makes sense to me with my limited knowledge. I guess the whole "the color doesn't matter" is true as long as you make a closed loop in the end. Probably why the transformer is getting hot is I'm short circuiting something.

Old 09-13-13, 08:40 AM
Hopefully that wiring will work for you. Let us know if it doesn't and we'll keep working on it until it does. A multimeter is a handy tool to have around the house to test/troubleshoot so many things. It is really pretty simple to use. Enjoy your vacation!

Old 09-17-13, 05:25 PM
T
No luck with that wiring I'm afraid. I turned the humidistat to "on" and turned on the furnace and nothing happened. My main concern is the transformer gets so hot when its wired up and then it starts to smell like burning plastic. My guess is that s not normal . Anyway I asked for help elsewhere and got another drawing. This is largely based off what honeywell shows in the manual. This did not work either. (attached)

Honeywell support finally got back to me (via email) on Friday and asked me to send them a diagram of how I wired this up. Then 2 days now with no response from them! This is really insane how terrible their customer support is...

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2013-09-14_164303_he220.pdf (17.5 KB, 237 views)
Old 09-17-13, 06:17 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. I know that it is frustrating. If you disconnect all wires from the transformer and with it plugged in does the transformer still get hot and smell like burning plastic? I am thinking that your problem may be a faulty transformer. Really need to put a multimeter on it to see if it is producing the needed 24VAC. Here is a link to a thread that has a good wiring diagram (post #18) that should work. It uses the HUM and C terminals on the control board instead of the supplied transformer to power the humidifier. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/hu...g-issue.html#b

Old 09-17-13, 06:41 PM
T
I'll pick up a multimeter. With that diagram. It does not show a pressure switch. Where would that go?

Old 09-17-13, 07:52 PM
All you will need for basic troubleshooting is a cheap one. It is nice to have one that "beeps" when you have continuity but not necessary. As you will remember the components can me wired in any order. So you would just have to tie in the pressure switch to one of the other components. I went ahead and watched the installation video again and then drew up my interpretation of what I think they were showing. I have attached the crude diagram. Note that the white wire must be on the "C" terminal on the pressure switch. I am not sure if your transformer has the "Common" side marked or not. The common side is the neutral wire side which should be on the left side as you look at it. The wide blade of the plug should go on the left side. So I would try to make sure the white wire coming from the humidifier is wired to the left side of the transformer.

Old 09-18-13, 09:04 AM
Here is another diagram of a wiring scheme that a person claims worked for the HE260A

Old 09-19-13, 07:04 PM
T
So I got a multimeter. Perhaps I'm using it wrong? I put it on the V~ which the book says is for AC, then I set it to 200. I get nothing with either red/black contact, nothing at all.

I also tried with a AA battery with it set on the DC setting @ 20V and I got 1.37 which tells me the tester is operating properly at this point.

So now I'm thinking perhaps its the adapter. Now I have to get Honeywell to acknowledge that and figure out what the proper wiring is now that I have 5 different drawings! Getting crazy now. Hopefully me wiring it wrong isn't breaking the transformer? Is that even possible or would it likely be a component down the line that takes the hit?

Old 09-19-13, 07:11 PM
First use your meter to verify you have 120V at the outlet you are using to plug in the transformer. Set the meter to 200 VAC. Place the red lead in the slot on the right and the black lead in the slot on the left. You should get around 120V. That verifies voltage available for the transformer. Then remove any connections to the 24V transfornmer. With the transformer plugged in place one lead on each of the terminal screws or each wire if it is that type. You should get 24VAC if the transformer is working properly. I think your problem is the transformer is "fried" since you said it was hot and smelled.

Old 09-21-13, 03:49 PM
T
Its the transformer. I'm getting ~124v at the outlet. Then when I plug the transformer in (with no wires on it) I get nothing at all for a reading 0.00

Also, Honewell got back to me and stated the original drawing I submitted, per the video is the correct wiring... Maybe there is more than 1 way...

Old 09-23-13, 02:32 PM
Yes, definitely the transformer since it shows 0V output. If the two output wires ever touch together it will almost always result in a blown transformer. That is why it is always suggested to install a 3V or 5V automotive type fuse on the low voltage side of the transformer in air handlers and why the furnace control boards usually have one on the board itself as protection. Yes, there could be all kinds of possible combinations since you can wire the components in any order.

Old 09-23-13, 02:35 PM
T
Honeywell support won't replace it and won't consider sending anyone. Any idea where I can find a replacement transformer? I searched the web and found nothing.

I'm about done with this and it will just be $200.00 wasted and my time. I'm not paying someone to come out here 99 just to walk through the door and probably another 500 to fix it... This is insane. Never buying from Honeywell again.

Old 09-23-13, 02:51 PM
The part number for the transformer is 32001652-001. Here is a link to one source: HONEYWELL 32001652-001/B - TRANSFORMER FOR HE225 HE265 & HE365 HUMIDIFIERS.

Here is another: https://www.plumbersstock.com/produc...-humidifiers./

Old 09-23-13, 02:58 PM
T
Yeah mine is a 32006131-001/B model. From what I can see none of these are the plug-in type. I appreciate your help on this stuff. I won't attempt to do something like this again, its not worth it. I'll just rip the unit out and cover it with AC duct metal and toss it in the trash. Thanks again firedawgsatx.

Old 09-23-13, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
You don't have to use a Honeywell transformer. The Honeywell transformer is a 24vac 10 watt unit.

I would consider that a little small. You can use any 24vac plug in transformer.
The third one I listed would be the same specs as the Honeywell.
The last one would be slighlty more capacity.

Amazon.com: Class II Transformer - 24 Volt AC, 40 VA, UL/CSA Approved : MGT-2440: Car Electronics

Transformer 24 Volt AC 40 VA UL CSA Security Alarm Transformer Grounded | eBay

120VAC 60Hz 15W 24 Volt AC 10VA Power Supply Transformer CCTV Wall Plug CPI 2410 | eBay

Power Supply Wall Wart Transformer 24 Volt AC 20 VA Vitek | eBay

Old 09-24-13, 12:15 PM
T
I'll ordered the Amazon.com unit. We'll see how it fares. I'm not an electrician so I don't quite understand how the VA nor miliamps don't have to match and such...

I work on computer networks and they are less complicated than this!

Old 09-25-13, 02:07 PM
T
It works!

I bought the Amazon Transformer for this and it actually works! 24Volt 40VA. I have also attached the wiring diagram I ended up using for this. For the laymen like myself, follow this drawing and you should be fine.

I have flowing water and it actually turns on/off, haha. Not just on as some users have said.

Thanks all for your help!!!

Attached Images  
Old 09-25-13, 03:31 PM
Glad to hear you got it up and running! Thanks for letting us know the outcome and posting the diagram. So, from the diagram it appears you only use the white wire between components until the last connection at the transformer where the red wire is used. Is that correct? If so, that is sure a lot different than the Honeywell video link you posted in your initial post.

Old 09-25-13, 04:42 PM
T
Correct. I think the general consensus here is that you make a full loop with only one wire, color really doesn't matter. You could just ignore one of the colors entirely if desired. My understanding is that any one of the components (Humidistat or the Pressure Switch) can open or close the circuit. However power won't get through to the humidifier solenoid unless you satisfy both conditions: a) have the proper humidity (too low thus indicating an "on" position) and b) the pressure switch detects the furnace blower is on. Once that happens you get a complete circuit and all is well. I could be wrong.

The book does show this picture, very similar to what I included, minus any indication of wire color. The video on the other hand, just way different...

Old 09-25-13, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that video is what totally confused me with the wiring.

Old 12-23-14, 05:17 PM
R
same problem

I am wired like the picture in message 12...

Ive tried everything! Please help!

Old 12-23-14, 05:20 PM
R
I have a red and white wire coming off transformer.. I don't understand your graphic that worked for you! Please elaborate!

Old 12-23-14, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The circuit is a closed loop. If you connect the two wires from the transformer to the solenoid it will flow water. The humidistat and the air switch open the closed loop. So bypassing one switch at a time will show you what is open. The diagram illustrates using standard two wire thermostat cable.

Name:  LOOP.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  12.5 KB

Old 12-24-14, 08:06 AM
R
Here's where I am confused.. The sail switch has a common terminal and an open...

So is it transformer to sail switch... red wire to common white hangs...start new wire...red to the "on" screw on sail switch... tie the whites together then do the same on the next component? It all ends at the silonoide with white and red each connecting to a silonoide wire? Im confused about the two connections at the sail switch..

Old 12-24-14, 08:09 AM
R
The black dot on your illustration means the white wires are tied together correct? The ovals mean it is one wire????

Old 12-24-14, 08:14 AM
R
Also, If I'm holding the transformer in my hand with the plugs at the top of my hand..the white wire goes on the bottom right side of the transformer correct?

Old 12-24-14, 08:29 AM
The oval means the red and white wire are in one cable. The black dots are wire nuts. All of the white wires are connected together which goes from one side of the transformer all the way to the solenoid (in your case). On the sail switch you have one red wire going in and another red wire going out to the next component. When you get to the end, the red wire goes to one wire on the solenoid and the white wire goes to the other wire on the solenoid.

Old 12-24-14, 08:36 AM
R
thats where I am confused.... a red wire needs to go to both sail switch screws? then tie off whites? and move on?

Old 12-24-14, 08:41 AM
R
So when I get to the sail switch tie off the white common sail switch wire with new white wire.. screw the red wire to the "on" screw on the sail switch? then move on? Please look at response #12 on this thread. That is how I have it wired... What is wrong with that wiring?

Old 12-24-14, 08:47 AM
R
Here is the easiest way to say it:

When I get to the sail switch one red wire is connected coming in and one red wire is connected going out...

What are those wires connected to? both red to the "on"? one red coming into the "on" screw a second red wire connected to the "on as well that goes out? i get the rest..

Old 12-24-14, 08:56 AM
R
the sail switch has three screws:

1.Common
2. Open
3. Norm Closed

So the red wire going into sail switch is connected to "open"? The whites tied...the new wire starts..

Where does the new red wire attach on the sail switch before going to the next component?

The diagram below shows two red connections at the sail switch? Where is the one leaving connected?

Old 12-24-14, 09:07 AM
Here is an excerpt right from the installation instructions. Connect a red wire to the COM and OPEN terminals.

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-14, 09:17 AM
R
ok.. so before I do this..

transformer wires to sail switch.. red to common... start a new wire...white to white.... New red wire to "Open" screw as well.. then move on to next component the humidistat? So tie off whites and the two red wires to common and open screws on sail switch?

Old 12-24-14, 10:59 AM
The transformer connects to the first cable with one wire to red and one wire to white. Here is another diagram to see if it helps you understand. The components in the "chain" can be moved around to match your set up.

Attached Images  

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 12-24-14 at 11:17 AM.