Possible mold/mildew in basement

Old 10-14-13, 09:55 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Possible mold/mildew in basement

I am new here and not sure where to post this question. If you find appropriate place please move it there.

Okay, so I am new homeowner and have some experience in doing things myself but not much. In last few weeks I noticed that I started coughing a lot whenever I worked in basement. Its finished basement of about 1000sq.ft. At first I didn't think much but it went on getting worse. I could not work there even for 30mins. I have my office in there and I can't really move my office anywhere else. I have to work there for at lease 4-6 hours everyday.

I started looking for reasons and found that humidity in the basement is higher so decided to buy dehumidifier which is arriving tomorrow. In the meantime I inspected (on course with my inexperienced naked eyes) and couldn't find any mold anywhere. I could see inside drywalls only on two sides(which is about 20%) through furnace room.

Now here is basic question.
Do I need to be worried about possible mold and get inspected from experts? My plan is to run dehumidifier for couple of days and see if things improve? What do you suggest?

Thank you in advance.
Shambhu

Old 10-14-13, 10:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Running the dehumidifier is a good start. Many basements require a dehumidifier to be used most of the time. Be sure to check the water tank and empty as needed. In the meantime you might try setting up some fans and get the air moving [fresh air if feasible] and see if that helps you any. The odds are if there was a mold issue - you'd see signs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: