Troubleshoot Nest 2.0 and Honeywell HE360 humidifier setup

Old 10-17-13, 04:55 PM
Troubleshoot Nest 2.0 and Honeywell HE360 humidifier setup

I've been attempting to connect a new Honeywell HE360 humidifier to my Nest 2.0 and it's not going to well. I've purchased a 6AZU2 relay to support it as well. I've connected the yellow wires from the humidifier to the load of the relay and the C and * wires to the coil. On my Nest, it's giving me a N29 error on the * wire. I've checked and rechecked every connection. Unfortunately I called Nest and they couldn't help me; only referred me to a professional.

I tested the relay and everything is work fine so I'm not sure what the exact issue is.

Would appreciate it if anyone has some pointers. It's worth noting that the Nest is firing my fan and heater so the issue is limited to the connection with the relay.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-13, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

What you've done should be correct.

If you go to the thermostat and remove the wire from the * terminal and touch it to R the humidifier should turn on. Is that part working ?

Is the thermostat configured for humidification mode and do you have a C connection established with furnace ?

I've been reading about "unusual configuration" issues with the Nest but haven't actually determined what that means.

Last edited by PJmax; 10-17-13 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-17-13, 05:30 PM
Would I touch the Rc or Rh? There's already a wire in the Rh.

Old 10-17-13, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Touch it to the red wire which should be Rh.

The relay should click and the humidifier should start.

Old 10-17-13, 06:06 PM
okay, yes, it works when I connect to the R wire.

Old 10-17-13, 07:20 PM
also to add, I have humification activated on Nest. As for the C wire, I only have it connected from the furnace to the relay. It wasn't used with my last thermostat so I didnt use with the Nest. The wires currently connected to the Nest are Y, G, W and Rh. And of course the star wire which goes to the relay.

Old 10-17-13, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
Then your wiring is correct.

You have what Nest calls an "unusual configuration."

Go to their website and follow the diagnostic routine for N29 and it will lead to to a web request for help from them.

What do the Nest Learning Thermostat's error codes mean?

Old 10-18-13, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the note. Unfortuantely I called Nest yesterday and they said that they can't really help me; then directed me to call a pro installer. A little dissapointed with that answer.

I'm just not sure why the star wire is expecting power. Shouldn't it draw power from Rh to fire the connection?

Old 10-18-13, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
I think they have it worded incorrectly. It should be no load is detected on the wire. Since the load you are connecting goes directly to common.... there is no power to detect on that wire.

Does the t'stat actually control the humidifier ?

Old 10-18-13, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure that I'm following you. The thermostat should control the humidifier.

Old 10-18-13, 08:39 AM
I highly suggest you also connect a wire from the C terminal on the control board to the C terminal on the Nest. A lot of Nest thermostats just will not operate properly without that wire connected. Here are two double tap terminals I like to use to facilitate this.

Attached Images    
Old 10-18-13, 08:48 AM
Group Moderator
Does the t'stat actually control the humidifier ?
Right now. With it hooked up does the thermostat turn on the humidifier. I've been reading that the thermostat can actually operate the the humidifier but has the N29 on screen.

Old 10-18-13, 08:53 AM
I'll give that a shot and let you know if that works. I did get a response from Nest when I posted to their Community site:

Can you take a voltage reading on the Rh to * wires? If we are getting insufficient volts, the Nest will give you that N29 error, even though there might be enough voltage on the lines to trip the relay if you touch the wires together.

Any idea how I'd go about measuring this?

Old 10-18-13, 08:56 AM
PJmax - It doesn't. I see the Nest screen say that it's Humidifying but nothing is happening.

Old 10-18-13, 10:50 AM
i checked the voltage between the Rh wire and the * wire. I'm getting 28.26 volts. I left them plugged into the Nest base with a little bit of wire exposed so that I can measure.

If volts are coming through, does this mean there's probably an issue with my Nest?

Old 10-18-13, 05:13 PM
firedawgsatx - I wired up the C wire to the Nest but this didn't solve the problem.

Still no humidifier firing when Humidifying displayed on the Nest. Interestingly enough, when it said Humidifying on the Nest, I measured the voltage at the coil on the relay and there's less than half a volt between the two connectors. So Nest is obviously not doing something with the star wire.

Old 10-19-13, 06:55 AM
Is the C wire also connected at the control board? Did you go into the pro setup and configure it to Hum + heat for bypass humidifer? Here is a link to a manual that may provide additional info for you:http://support-assets.nest.com/image...ampaign=manual

Old 10-19-13, 07:14 AM
Yes, I ran the C wire from the furnace control board to Nest. Because it's a powered humidifier, it doesn't need to be set to Hum+Heat although I have tried that setting to see if it works but nothing.

Old 10-19-13, 08:11 AM
Group Moderator
Because it's a powered humidifier, it doesn't need to be set to Hum+Heat although I have tried that setting to see if it works but nothing.
"Powered humidifier" doesn't really enter into the equation. You are using a relay to isolate that unit from your nest.

i checked the voltage between the Rh wire and the * wire. I'm getting 28.26 volts.
Ok..... so that is showing you that your relay is on the line, and is connected properly, since your relay is supplying the common or ground to the nest. I know....sounds confusing.

When the nest is not telling the humidifier to run... the circuit is open and you'll read the voltage across the Rh and * wires.
When the nest tells the humidifier to operate you will read little to no voltage between Rh and the * wire since that connection should be closed.

Therefore.... at this time.... your nest is not telling the humidifier to operate. You have confirmed proper wiring on your part.

Old 10-19-13, 08:35 AM
Does that mean there's a defect with the Nest?

Old 10-19-13, 10:36 AM
It could be defective. But I found this info in my notes:
When you go into “Pro-Setup” each connected wire should have a green or yellow light. If it shows as YELLOW it means you are able to configure how the Nest controls that wire. Turn the ring to highlight each connector you want to configure and press to select it. A sub-menu should appear. For example, Nest wants you to verify the W1 wire goes to your furnace/air conditioner. Once you verify it is, it should now turn green. For the * wire Nest wants to know “Is this just a stand alone humidifier” or a Humidifier/dehumidifier?” “Does the unit require the heat to be on to function?” “Should the blower be on when the humidifier is on yes or no?” When you answer the questions and follow the prompts hopefully all will be well. You can go to page 18 of the manual I linked earlier to get more info about how to get into the Pro-Setup.

Old 10-19-13, 11:57 AM
Okay. I returned the unit to Home Depot and got a new one. And the new one works perfectly. Interesting experience going through all this troubleshooting.

Thanks for everyone for their input and assistance.

Old 10-19-13, 12:47 PM
Group Moderator
That would be the third unit in recent history with a somewhat similar problem. They do stand behind their product though.

Good job !

Old 02-02-14, 10:59 AM
Similar experience

I ran across this thread when trying to get my Honeywell 360 to work with the Nest, and was having similar problems. It verified that my wiring was correct, and it didn't seem to matter what I did, I was either not getting enough voltage to the relay or I'd get the N29 error message.

I contacted Nest and the first individual was easy to communicate with and I was under the assumption that they were sending out a replacement thermostat. I was sort of mad when it finally arrived, and I only had been sent a base (more about that later). I contacted them again and returned the base. When the new thermostat finally arrived, I plugged it in, went and reconfigured my wiring and hoped it would work. Sadly, it did not. Still with the N29 error, and I even ran another configuration that included a 120v to 24v transformer, only to still get the same error. Over a month since the inception, I decided to move on and just abandon the project all together. Hidden under thermostat and a PITA piece of cardboard, was another base. There was a kind note asking me to replace both the thermostat AND the base before returning. I figured I'd have one more go at it, just to rule that out.

Rewire the base, and ditch my old transformer and wired up the relay once again and upon going through setup on the replacement thermostat, I was surprised to see the * terminal was no longer greyed out and I had no errors. Ran downstairs and cycled the furnace and sure enough, the relay was now fully functional. The only change was the base.

I'm going with user error on this, as I never even tried the first base I'd been shipped. Two thermostats and the only change that made a difference was swapping out the base. In hindsight, I should have at least given that a try originally. I am quite happy to have a smarter control for the humidifier, as the Honeywell one that's provided, makes little sense. The numbers don't seem to relate to anything. Not temperature, nor humidity, it's as if they were just pulled out of the sky.

While I'm not sure what's inside the base that would make a difference, I'm quite relieved to put this project behind me.