Whole house humidifier in attic?

Old 12-19-13, 08:19 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whole house humidifier in attic?

I live in the Dallas, TX area. While we're (rightfully) known for our hot summers, the winters in Dallas do get cold. (Well, you know, relatively speaking anyway.) During the winter months, my skin tends to get dry and my nasal passages get dried out and I itch all over. I'm considering the addition of a whole-house humidifier.

My furnace is in the attic. The attic will of course be subject to below freezing temperatures. I'm not sure what the real risk of freezing is in my situation, or what other hazards come with an attic installation. The furnace is within a few feet of the hot water heater (yes, also in the attic) so supplying hot water to the humidifier won't be an issue.

I've never been in a house with a whole house humidifier and don't know much about 'em. What are the risks I'd encounter by installing a humidifier in the attic, and how big are those risks? What could I do to mitigate those risks?

Aprilaire models are available on Amazon for very reasonable prices and I'm seriously thinking of buying one and installing it myself.

Old 12-29-13, 12:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't suggest adding one.. To risky.

Your water heater has a large mass of hot water, and a burner to keep it warm. Where the humidifier, the water line is smaller, so it will cool off much faster, and also your drain line is at risk.

For your "mild" winter you have vs ours here in Minnesota, I'd suggest to just the stand alone unit.

Old 12-29-13, 02:05 PM
B
Received 44 Upvotes on 40 Posts
In many cases the cause of low humidity is air leakage. That cold outside air is very dry when warmed up to house temperatures. With the furnace in the attic, which would include some of the ducts, there is certainly some leakage. Sealing the ducts along with many other areas can actually bring your indoor humidity up to comfortable, without a humidifier. It will also reduce the heating and cooling bills.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: