Aprilaire 700 Install in Rheem Air Handler with no board

Old 01-14-14, 08:29 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 700 Install in Rheem Air Handler with no board

Hi All,

So we bought our first house and it has a pretty old (1995/6) electric Heat Pump and Air Handler. The backup is electric as well. The air is REALLY dry, well under 30% I think the low we had was 22%. Anyway it's been reeking havoc on our noses and skin. So I researched and bought a Aprilaire 700 whole house humidifier with Model 60 Digital Humidistat. I really like the features but in the beginning I will just be wiring the simplest way possible. I'm not worrying about the blower only function and am not wiring the outdoor sensor at the moment. But that part does not seem like it will be hard. I did the duct install, as well as the water hookup. But then when I went to wire it I'm now stumped.

The two brown wires were easy enough. But my Air Handler does not have a board so the wiring diagram which I was iffy on before is now like greek to me. I still need to wire the R&C (power) via the provided transformer and W (Heat notification) tying in somewhere in the mess of wires I am guessing.

Air handler: Rheem RBHA-21J20SFAA
Humidifier: Aprilaire 700
Humidistat: Aprilaire Model 60

Here are some shots:
Air handler

Transformer that came with 700 120v to 24v

So my questions/problems are:

1. If I'm reading it right there isn't any 120v line to tie the transformer into? How do I tackle that problem? The transformer is the thing I'm least comfortable with and might just have to hire an HVAC person to finish this off =[

2. I'm not sure what to wire to the heat sensor location on the humidistat location W. I am guessing maybe the Heater Relay but I'm really clueless and if that is what I need to tie into I have no idea how exactly.

I'm normally a pretty handy guy but I might have bit off more than I can chew. I should have looked first, I assumed I'd have a nice little labeled board and it would be a cinch. =]

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-14, 01:19 PM
B
So the blower uses 220V power - I would assume there is a 220 to 24V transformer that could do the trick - or you could get 120V from where the humidifier is plugged in. Speaking of that, couldn't they just have put the transformer internal to the unit, it's already connected to power! :P

Looking at the bottom right of the schematic, the lines with note "4" are connected to the thermostat - Blue/White and Black/White each have a heater relay, and looking at the wiring, it looks like they are both twisted together with a white wire from the thermostat - So that's your W connection. Black/Green is the Blower, connected to Green (G) from the thermostat. Red to Red for R - not sure about C, that's common aka ground.

You can do it!

Matt

Old 01-16-14, 12:03 PM
C
Alright so that went better than I expected. Hooked everything up with your help.

Only problem now is that I think maybe the W connection that is supposed to tell it when to kick on isn't hooked up right. I connected it to the Blue/white Black/white and white connection but it isn't kicking on. I need to put it in test mode to get it to come on. Able to get Humidity to 30-39% turning it on manually when I'm at my desk near the HVAC and vigilant about it. But I'd like for it to be automatic =]

I'm thinking of trying to tie it into the black/green blower wire and see if that helps.

When I manually bring 24v to the W connection it kicks on so that is why I am thinking that is where the problem lies. The connection isn't getting the required power or something like that.

Thanks so much for the help so far. Can't believe I actually got it somewhat working myself (with your help) =]

Old 01-19-14, 08:17 AM
C
Wohoo!

Yep, key was the black and green wire. I just stepped back, reread your instructions and changed it to the black and green wire and it's working great now. Thanks so much for the help!!!

Old 01-19-14, 09:51 AM
B
Hmmm, I think you want it turn on with the call for heat - otherwise it will kick on with the blower and AC during the summer, though I guess you can just turn it off. Where did you attach the Common wire?

Old 01-19-14, 04:19 PM
C
Yeah I was thinking that too but this way if I want I can have it run without heat having to be on. Say if I want to catch up or something and don't want to wait for only when the heat kicks on. I don't see that happening really but it worked this way so I stayed with it. Yes in the summer I will just turn it off until we use the heater again.

I connected the common to the Brown wire coming off the 24v transformer in the blower right next to the Red one.

Thanks for your help. It really gave me the tips I needed to be sure on how to do it and made me 100x more comfortable doing it myself.