Wait 5000 to Lennox G20 wiring option?

Old 01-20-14, 10:37 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wait 5000 to Lennox G20 wiring option?

Hi guys! Hope i can get some help for my problem!

Jay11J, you seem to know your furnaces! i hope you are still around and will see this!

I have the Wait 5000 flow through hum. and trying to make it work properly. It is hooked up to the return plenum, using the humidistat also on the return plenum. The unit is currently powered using the wall power transformer it came with.

Currently, the unit is not turning on, and i believe the reason for this is because not enough heat is hitting the sensor to trigger the humidifier to kick in. (I can get a pressure switch from Wait, but trying to avoid doing that.) I know it does work as i tried to start it with a hair dryer and it does start at that point. However, with normal daily operation, it does not start, or maybe once for every 10-20 times the furnace kicks in. It is currently being used with the fan in circulation mode from my thermostat on the main floor. I want the humidifier to kick in whenever the fan starts as well to get good circulation and humidity during this winter time!

My furnace is a gas Lennox G20. I am wondering if i can discard the wall power and wire the humidifier to the furnace board directly? Is it possible to have the humidifier turn on whenever the fan turns on? I realize that using the W terminal would make it kick in when it calls for heat, but as i mentioned, i use the fan in circulate, so it is not always calling for heat. Also, should i get a new humidistat and place it upstairs near my thermostat? will that make a difference in the overall usage of the humidifier?

In another post i saw (http://www.doityourself.com/forum/hu...ml#post1475124) a schema for wiring but i do not see where the humidistat comes in play. How do you control that/the water or humidity level? Do you decide just not to use one?

I hope you guys can help from your past experience! Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-14, 06:45 AM
O
Daily bump!

Anyone?!

Thanks!

Old 01-22-14, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I was waiting for Jay since you asked for him but he may be busy.

You can connect your humidifier transformer directly to the control board. You need to keep the transformer as the board gives you 120vac taps. You would need to connect the transformer to the ACC terminal and any available Neutral terminal. The ACC terminal becomes live anytime the blower runs.

You will have to bypass the heat sensor part of your humidifier.

My humidistat is in the return air duct in the basement and works perfectly well.

The fan center is illustrated on page 36-37 of the manual in the link below.
Lennox_G20_Installation Manual.pdf

Old 01-22-14, 10:21 AM
O
Thank you so much for the reply!

This is very interesting, but a little more confused now after looking at the manual. If you see fig 13 and 14, it shows 2 different boards. On my side, i have only seen fig 14 and this is were i wired my thermostat, which is where the old thermostat was as well. Now i am wondering if it is wired in the correct board. Why is it that there are 2 thermostat terminals? or am i reading/seing this wrong?

Name:  fig13.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  36.7 KBName:  fig14.jpg
Views: 3186
Size:  32.7 KB

Now i am still a litte confused by your instructions but i appreciate the input. But so i am clear, i still need to use the wall power supply plugged in and use new wiring from the humidifier directly by splicing into the power supply wiring? Currently the power supply is like this:
Name:  fig23.JPG
Views: 1137
Size:  7.7 KB

As far as bypassing the heat sensor, i do believe there is a setting using dip switch to allow this, so just confused as for the actual wiring itself!

Thanks again!

Old 01-23-14, 06:28 AM
Sorry for the delay, and I've been busy..

I will get back to you tonight!

Old 01-23-14, 12:03 PM
O
Sounds good Jay! i appreciate it!

With the cold weather we have been having lately, my humidity is down to 20% according to my tstat! kinda hoping this will work!

thanks!

Old 01-23-14, 08:22 PM
What you can do is wire a single outlet on to the ACC(essory) termial, Then that will power up anytime the blower comes on.

Once you have this wired up, you plug the transformer into this. Then set the switch to bypass the sensor.

Old 01-28-14, 02:57 PM
O
Hi Jay11J, thanks for the reply! sorry it took a while to reply, also been busy at the office!

So if i understand correctly, use 1 single wire from the ACC terminal - to the humidistat or the humidifier? No sure i fully understand! Sorry, this is a first for me working on a furnace!

Thanks!

Old 01-28-14, 08:10 PM
The wire from the ACC terminal will be wired to an outlet that will be mounted on the side of the furnace.

Then you plug the transformer into the outlet for power.

Old 01-28-14, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
I just want to add one thing to what Jay posted...... label the receptacle "for humidifer only" as it is a low current supply for the humidifier only.

Old 02-21-15, 04:29 PM
O
Hi guys,

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but i am still having problem with this humidifier! I unfortunately was not able to get around wiring the outlet to the furnace ACC terminal but since we are still having issues, i need to have this resolve.

I appreciate the help that was provided above and i now understand what i need to do.

However, i need some technical pointers as to wiring the outlet itself.

I have electrical wire left over from previous renos and notice that this wire has 2 cable in it, one red and one black. I also have leftover outlets that i will be using for this. However, being that this terminal has a single plug, which cable goes connected to this terminal? The black or the red? Do both cables go into the outlet?

Thanks again, hoping you guys are still active on the boards!

Old 02-22-15, 04:09 PM
O
Thanks guy I was able to figure it out, it was actually easier than I thought!

Now furnace working perfectly, coming on when furnace comes on. Only thing missing was a jumper that needed to be added to the "pressure switch" connectors on top of changing the dip switches.

Thread can be closed, hope someone else finds it if they have similar setup.

Thanks again!!

Old 02-22-15, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Black and red leftover is from 240v work. You should be using black and white.

Glad you finally got it resolved. Thanks for letting us know.