Deciding on location for bypass humidifier (Furnace: Carrier 59SC5A)

Old 01-29-14, 04:16 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Deciding on location for bypass humidifier (Furnace: Carrier 59SC5A)

Hi,

I would like to install a whole house bypass humidifier onto my furnace.

The furnace is a Carrier model 59SC5A. Based on my research it does support a 24VAC direct hookup for the humidifier.

I haven't decided on the type of humidifier yet, still debating that. However it will be a bypass type over powered (unless there is another type which I should be considering).

My question is regarding the placement of the humidifier. Please see the pictures below.

The first picture is of the side of the furnace with enough room for the bypass duct

The next picture is where I am thinking of putting it. It would be attached to the air return duct and the bypass duct would be connected to the duct above the evaporator coil duct.

There doesn't appear to be much room above the evaporator coils. I haven't opened the duct up but based on the location of the drain tube and refrigerant lines, it appears high in the duct (is that normal?)

Note the fact that the bypass duct will be S shaped. Is that ok? I understand that becuase of this I would need to use a rigid type of ducting.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have found these forums very useful in my research for humidifier installation.

Thanks,
Kostas

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-14, 08:47 AM
B
Hey yea the spot you picked will work...as long as the duct you chose on the supply is the main trunk, and not a branch, otherwise you will be getting moisture to only go down that branch instead of everywhere.

Other than that it looks good. The S shape is fine, I would suggest using a flexible/rigid 6" duct. We call it buck duct, but I dont know if that is the actual name of it. It looks like dryer vent pipe, but you'll need it in 6" instead of 4" like a dryer. If you use this you can make any shape you want.

Also, My advice would be to look at the Aprilaire humidifiers. I install these on almost every furnace replacement/new install, and have never had a problem.

As far as having the evap coil up that high off of the furnace....its not normal, but its certainly not wrong/bad. Its an airflow thing, so the air doesnt come right off of the blower in the furnace and hit the evap coil, instead this way it has some space between each other. And since its a caseless coil inside the ductwork, there is a "shelf" built below it to support it....those are the screws that you see going around, right below the drain. If you put this directly on top of the furnace it would block some airflow.

The one issue you may have though, is that the return duct might be too narrow, Its either 8 or 10" wide right there, so it will either JUST make it or it will overhang somewhat. If it wont work there you can try reversing what you have in the drawing. Maybe it will fit on that overhead duct?

The furnace doesnt matter if it supports a 24v humidifier, you can also use a transformer to feed the humidifier, you should already have one at your furnace and you will also get a new one with the Aprilaire humidifier.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 01-30-14, 08:13 PM
You got the right ideal in mind.

I prefer the bypass unit.. less things to go wrong. Both Honeywell and Aprilaire are good products.. I have the honeywell HE220 myself.

Old 01-30-14, 09:34 PM
K
Thanks for the input!

Tthe width of the return duct is 10" so I think it should be ok. I'll double check with the installation instructions for the humidifier I choose. The overhead duct on the supply side is only large enough for an opening of about 8"x9".

I checked the overhead duct and it does look like the main. I see a Y-branch shortly after it, I'll be sure to put the opening for the bypass duct before the Y.

Thanks for the suggestions regarding the humidifiers. I was looking at the HE220 also. Based on both your suggestions about the Aprilaire products I started looking at those and noticed they have a product that reduces the water waste that I understand is a problem with flow-through type humidifiers. The Aprilaire 400 has a "wicking action" water panel which apparetnly allows it to use 100% of the water. But it also supports up to a 4,000 sq ft house so it might be overkill (and much more expensive). I will look into the Aprilaire 400 a bit more, haven't seen a price for it yet.

Old 01-31-14, 07:44 AM
I've heard mixed on the 400. is your water cheap? if it's not then maybe go that route.

Old 02-04-14, 10:37 AM
K
I live in Toronto. It is relatively expensive compared to other Canadian cities according to

https://www.crd.bc.ca/service/drinki...ate-comparison

Do you have a rough idea about how much water the HE220 uses per day on average?

Thanks

Old 02-04-14, 08:24 PM
I have no ideal. I never really measured on mine.