Goodman GMVC95, Aprilaire 600a, CKT03 Communicating Thermostat

Old 02-11-14, 07:04 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman GMVC95, Aprilaire 600a, CKT03 Communicating Thermostat

Hello to all, and thanks in advance for the help

I just installed a Aprilaire 600a humidifier into my Goodman GMVC95 furnace. I have a CKT03 communicating thermostat, so I skipped the digital humidistat and outdoor sensor, because I already have all of that with the CKT03 and outdoor temp sensor.

My issue is, I wired this to the HUM terminal on the goodman furnace, therefore everytime the heat comes on the humidifier does too. I don't think the tstat cares when I have it wired to the HUM terminal and doesn't control humidity because it thinks there is a humidistat in place, "legacy" mode.

There is a HUM-IN and HUM-OUT on the board, and according the limited documentation from goodman this is used for the more advanced control, ex. running the humidifier when the heat is not needed, and just runs the fan, etc.

Anyways, it states that HUM-IN needs to see 110V, so I jumpered to the HUM-IN and wired the hot of the transformer to the HUM-OUT, the netural to the neutral on the board. I assumed the relay on the furnace board for the HUM-IN and HUM-OUT would would be driven by the thermostat and no other wiring was needed, but I appear to be wrong. The HUM-OUT never energizes.

Does this make sense?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-14, 07:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure where you're seeing HUM in and HUM out. I don't see it in the technical manual and I don't remember seeing it on any other unit I've worked on.

Goodman mfg Portals FTM-GMVC95.pdf

Old 02-12-14, 08:06 AM
N
You can find it in this manual here. http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/.../SS-GMVC95.pdf

Also see Note 6 on wiring diagram page.

It's possible I just had something set wrong in the thermostat, but even when I set my percentage level to 20% and the humidity was already 31%, it still would kick on when the heat did.

Old 02-14-14, 05:32 AM
N
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-17-14, 08:27 AM
Did you get this figured out? If not, I'll get back to you late tonight or Tuesday, unless PJ answers before I do

Old 02-24-14, 03:39 PM
N
No I did not figure this out yet.

Old 02-24-14, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Didn't want to leave you hanging. I'm not familiar with this system so I was trying to read up on it.

I see what you are talking about however HUM IN and HUM OUT are basically the same thing. Something in programming activates HUM IN and something activates HUM OUT. You don't put power on either one of those terminal......they are strictly 120vac switched output terminals.

I couldn't find much of anything in the programming of the thermostat but somewhere in programming it must discuss how the HUM IN and OUT are activated.

Jay has been busy with a personal issue but he'll be back soon.

Name:  hum.JPG
Views: 1746
Size:  35.7 KB
Name:  hum1.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  19.7 KB

Old 02-24-14, 06:35 PM
N
Actually the HUM-IN you circled is correct, but the HUM-OUT you circled is actually the HUM terminal, the HUM-OUT is the line above it. The double-line is a relay controlling the circuit. The lines not shown are part of the integrated circuit. Even between the HUM-IN circuit and the HUM circuit, they look to be the same, but I am under the assumption that what activates the relays to energize the HUM-OUT or HUM terminal are different, therefore allowing more control of when the humidifier runs......but what do I konw, I don't have it operating properly yet. HAHA

Old 02-24-14, 06:55 PM
sorry for not getting back to you!

I am lost... I don't know what to say... I tried finding the manual for the t-stat, and not able to find anything..

What setting do you have set on the t-stat? I would suggest something along the line run only o call for heat.

Otherwise, I can't help you... Maybe contact the dealer who put this furnace in?

Old 02-24-14, 09:58 PM
Group Moderator
I circled the two relays controlling the HUM outputs. The circuits are identical. One side of each relay goes to the hot line and the output of each relay goes to a HUM.

The following link is all I could find. I even loaded the USB programming program on my laptop but it didn't offer any more info on humidifier setup.

http://www.comfortnet1.com/Portals/28/PDFs/IO-CTK03.pdf

Old 11-13-14, 03:16 AM
R
Did this get resolved?

nei00755, Did this get resolved?

I have the same setup as you (except I used a Desert Spring DS-3200 instead of the Aprilaire 600a humidifier). I also want to use the more advance controls on the CKT03 for Hum control.

The post from PJmax is great (Thanks) with the link to the PDF. A screenshot of page 19:

Name:  CKT03.jpg
Views: 2867
Size:  30.7 KB

leads me to believe that my DS-3200 can work as desired. It needs a 24 v. signal to operate that slowly turns the DS-3200 disks.

I'm not sure what the term "IFC" stands for but I assume this is the main controller board in the GMVC95. If so, any idea where the 2 HUM lugs can be found?

Do the 2 HUM lugs have the 24 V. that I am looking for or are they 110 V.?

Old 11-13-14, 09:13 AM
J
Same setup

What was the fix for you? I have the same setup and same problem. Did you find a fix?

Old 11-13-14, 11:08 AM
R
Did this get resolved?

Jasonngardner, I asked nei00755: "Did this get resolved?" as I still have the same issue.
I imagine that all 3 of us are still trying to find an answer.

Rick Johnson

Old 11-16-14, 12:53 PM
N
I have not got this resolved. I think I may have found why it does not work though. I ran into a couple threads elsewhere on the internet talking about the CKT03AA thermostat having a "bug" in it that does not work the hum in and hum out terminals properly and it was resolved in the CKT03AB and 04 models. I am currently in a dispute with Goodman about replacing my thermostat in hopes this fixes my issue.

Old 11-16-14, 05:40 PM
R
3 Disappointed CKT03 owners

nei0075, would it help if Jasonngardner and I each file a case w/ Goodman about replacing the CKT03 thermostat since it seems to have a "bug" in it? It would seem that they might be more likely to upgrade them if there are more customers complaining about the same issue.
I purchased the CKT03 in part because it seemed to be able to control humidity better that just connecting the humidifier to the 5" brown lead blower pressure switch assembly.

Old 11-17-14, 04:41 PM
N
That would be great. Just to clarify you have the CKt03AA model?

Old 11-17-14, 06:34 PM
R
CKt03AA bug

Mine is also a CKt03AA. A Google search for CKt03AA AND bug did not produce much. Any suggestions where you found the details that you refer to?
Also, do you have any leads into who at Goodman is the most likely to listen to me? Contact info?
Thanks

Old 11-18-14, 07:50 AM
N
I called Goodman twice now, they try and push me off because I am not the licensed installer....which is crap, its a dang thermostat. Then they tried to push me off and say I needed to call Honeywell because they manufactured this particular one. I told them it is a Goodman issue. I don't have anything concrete about the issue. I ran across another forum where a tech was talking about the exact issue. He stated that Goodman/Amana had a tech write up stating of the humidifier issue and that it is resolved in the AB version, which is believable. All I know is I do not want to spend another 400 dollars on a new thermostat, and shouldn't have to. I ended up emailing customer affairs from Goodman's website, and got the same crappy response of it not being a warranty issue, I responded and disagreed and asked to be forwarded to a manager for resolution, I have not heard anything back yet.

Old 11-23-14, 02:36 PM
J
Problems still exist.

I read your thread. I do also have the ckt03aa thermostat. But first the question is?, is the proper hook up for the humidifier using, and only using, the hum in and hum out terminals? And are the terminals 110 volts or are they 24 volts? I must say goodman has about the worst install info in the world when it comes to the humidifier. If you could, shed some light on the subject for me. If the thermostat is the problem, and we get to that point, i will see what i can do and relay the process to you all for results.

Old 11-23-14, 03:32 PM
Here is a link to the GMVC95 installation that provides information on the humidifier terminals on the control board. See pages 27 and 28 and the wiring diagram on page 58.

http://www.shopacdirect.com/media/up...stallation.pdf

Old 11-23-14, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah..... I have the same info. The HUM in and HUM out is extremely vague as the written description does not match the schematic. Also.... we still haven't found the actual programming steps in the communicating thermostat steps.

Look at the following schematic excerpt. If the HUM out switches 120vac out to the humidifier.... why would you need to connect 120vac to HUM in..... especially when the schematic already shows 120v line connected to HUM in ???

Name:  goodman.jpg
Views: 3116
Size:  45.8 KB

Old 11-23-14, 04:36 PM
Based on the guide for the thermostat it looks like the setup for the humidifier begins at ISU 8000:

http://www.comfortnet1.com/portals/28/pdfs/io-ctk03.pdf

As shown in note 6 (bottom left of wiring diagram) it looks like there are three options. Legacy=non-communicating system.

Attached Images    

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 11-23-14 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 06:02 PM
N
Sorry guys, haven't been on the thread for a while.

I don't know the exact way to hook this up....this was all speculation on the fantastic documentation provided by Goodman.

The Hum-In terminal shows 110V in the schematic but does not have 110V ever coming out of it, (and considering its an IN I assume it needs to be energized) I made the assumption, or read somewhere I don't recall, that I need to energize the HUM-In terminal, irregardless the Hum-Out never spits out 110v no matter what I do to the communicating thermostat. I searched for the thread I found talking about issues with the CKT03AA but I am having trouble finding it now.

I am at the point where I will probably throw in the towel and put the Humidistat on the return of my furnace that came with my Aprilaire, as much as it pains me to do so when I have a 400 dollar thermostat that does not do what it states, or I could be wrong in the installation

I hope I just have the wiring incorrect and someone can help me out, calling Goodman gets me nowhere because they want to talk to a dealer, which is bullsh*t.

I have a new dilemma of wiring my digital Humidistat now. I am using the RC12 for the communicating comfortnet thermostat and I cannot wrap my head around how to wire the aprilaire digital humidistat when I am in communicating mode. I still would like the humidistat to control relative humidity so I don't' get frost on my windows.

Sorry this is quick and probably incomplete, I am heading out the door. Any help would be great. I appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks
Jeff

Old 12-03-14, 06:20 PM
The Hum-In terminal shows 110V in the schematic but does not have 110V ever coming out of it, (and considering its an IN I assume it needs to be energized) I made the assumption, or read somewhere I don't recall, that I need to energize the HUM-In terminal, irregardless the Hum-Out never spits out 110v no matter what I do to the communicating thermostat.
The HUM terminals on the control board are supposed to have 115V when the inducer motor is energized.