Haier dehumidifier running but not collecting water?

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-14, 02:39 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Haier dehumidifier running but not collecting water?

I have 2 of these Haier dehumidifiers running at opposite ends of my basement. They both run beautifully (air blowing out nicely) but only one actually works, aka collects water routinely. The other just runs and runs and blows air out and NEVER ever collects water... and it sits in the dampest part of the basement. help!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-14, 03:56 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Well the classic test is to run just this one unit. Do the coils frost up? Does it do anything without the other unit running? Is it set at the proper settings (not jus air)?

And why do you need two units? What size basement and what is the rating of units?

Old 05-18-14, 07:24 PM
L
again, both units are exactly the same model (45 gallon). I have always ran 2 at the same time in my basement 10+ years now w/o any issues. I have NO sump-pump in my house and live in the mid west where we get plenty of rain/moisture in the home. the only settings the unit has is (speed HI/LO), (timer), and (current/set humidity). and finally, yes, when i just run the one unit alone it does nothing but run and blow air and not collect water anymore.

Old 05-18-14, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,107 Votes on 1,027 Posts
When the unit is operating normally the air being discharged should be fairly warm.
Usually you can tell when the compressor starts running. If you don't hear the compressor come on then my first guess would be defective control board. They use what I consider to be undersized control relays and they burn up.

If you can hear the compressor start but the discharge air is not warm then the refrigerant may have leaked out of the unit.

Old 05-18-14, 08:04 PM
L
it DEF blows cold airs... always.

Old 05-19-14, 03:52 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Time for a new unit. However, I would opt for a larger commercial size unit as opposed to running two residential units. You're running very inefficiently. My daughter has a commercial size unit and her basement is small but very humid and wet. This is the only unit that would handle the situation.

Old 05-19-14, 02:24 PM
L
really? there is absolutely NO way to fix this thing? again, you're right the compressor never starts. the unit powers right on and fan blows cool air immediately but you can tell the thing never "kicks" in like they should. btw, the reason i have 2 is because the basement is parted (finished) with several close rooms so since its not an open floor plan i need the 2 units to collect moisture more effectively.

Old 05-19-14, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... the compressor is not starting. That would at least mean the that the charge should be ok.

Are you planning on opening it and fixing it ?
Do you have a volt/ohmmeter ?
Do you have a camera where you can post pics for me ?

If you want to fix it.... I'll help you but it is going to be a little involved. The parts do not just plug in.... they are soldered in.

I've fixed quite a few of the new generation dehumidifiers with the logic control board. The problem is most likely going to be a burned compressor relay or burned solder on that relay.

Old 05-20-14, 03:36 PM
L
I would like to try to fix it (with your help of course). I have a camera and a volt/ohmeter. but i'm a pretty green here, so my Q is how "involved" are we talking? I don't want to waste your time and get you frustrated working w/a newbie. I'm no dummy but i certainly dont solder. Also, is there any particular day this weekend that is good for you? thanks again for all your input thus far. will be sure to get you the model no., etc. next too.

Old 05-20-14, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
I'm here every day. At your leisure remove the main cover. Locate the board where all the heavy wires go. There may be some duct work or brackets in your way.

A model number of unit is good. A pic of that board when you locate it.

Old 05-22-14, 10:53 PM
L
ok, its a Haier HDN655E model. When you say remove the main "cover", do you mean the electric panel board, the actual control panel board that controls the settings, on/off, etc., yes? also, the only volt/ohmeter i have is a ryobi digital multimeter (model RP4020)... i'm assuming that will more than do, yes?

Old 05-23-14, 10:41 PM
Group Moderator
Ok... thanks for the model number. Must be an older unit as many parts show as not available.

The board part number is AC-0668-87. I found one place that shows it may be available and for a reasonable price (there may be others) ...... HERE

The pic below is the board we need to work on. Front and back view.
The front view shows the compressor relay. The back view shows the relay solder area.
First thing you need to do is check the solder on the relay.

Name:  655 board - Copy.jpg
Views: 43669
Size:  43.1 KB
Name:  655 r board - Copy.jpg
Views: 43408
Size:  37.8 KB

Old 05-28-14, 11:06 PM
L
sorry been dealing w/family matters the last few days. thank you for the pic. before we proceed, what are the odds i will have to buy/replace the board part number? the reason i ask is after doing some research i can sell my unit as-is for $25 cash/$50 trade-in. and refurbed units go for $135 shipped. almost doesn't worth the cost of replacement the board + work if I have to start scouring the internet for old parts and paying $40 - $50 bucks w/s&h for it. again, i have 2 of these units and this one was not used as much and the other is still going strong. can't believe this one runs but the compressor just won't kick in. is there something on the current board that just needs a little tweaking? :/

Old 05-28-14, 11:23 PM
Group Moderator
Without looking at the board and possibly making a few tests..... I can't answer your question.
If the compressor relay is bad...... it or the board will need to be replaced.

Old 06-10-14, 07:58 PM
Received 41 Votes on 35 Posts
The first thing you should do is ohm out the compressor windings.

Second thing to check is the run capacitor.

Last thing to check is the circuit board -> you need to see if the compressor is getting power.

If it comes down to getting a new unit, you should get a 70 pint. Larger units pull out more pints per kwh and if a single larger unit can handle the basement most of the time, it will cycle less than two 45 pint models on the milder days. You may only need to run the 45 pint a few days per year.

Old 06-10-14, 09:10 PM
J
If I were you I'd buy the 70 pint and leave it at that. I had two 30 pint units in the basement and replaced both with a 70 pint and besides simplifying my life it does in fact pull more water out than the two combined in the same time.

Old 05-06-15, 07:23 PM
K
I too have a Haier who's compressor will not turn on

I have a less than year old Haier that when we plugged back in this week after winter, the fan runs but the compressor never kicks on. I thought maybe it was just too cool in our basement for compressor to kick-in, so I put it in the closed garage today and its humid and in the 70s. Still no compressor starting up. Is there some temperature or humidity conditions for which its appropriate for the compressor not to run? Or I guess we need to try to collect on the 1-year warranty.

Any advice would be great - thanks in advance

Old 05-06-15, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I would make use of the warranty and have the unit replaced.

Old 05-07-15, 05:41 AM
Received 72 Votes on 68 Posts
I have one and the compressor runs but does not dehumidify,I believe the valves are shot in the compressor,I don't see any evidence of a leak,unit is about 5 years old.

Geo

Old 05-07-15, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
Trust me.... if it's a Haier..... the refrigerant is gone.
There is very little refrigerant in the system so a leak would not likely be spotted.

I'm going to send this thread to the searchable archives. If you need further help with your appliance.... please feel free to start a new thread.

Closed Thread