Humidifier Compatibility

Old 06-17-14, 01:22 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Humidifier Compatibility

Hi - I am having a new furnace installed (Payne PG96VAT) and the installer is planning to use a GeneralAire 570DMM as the humidifier. He quoted the manual version rather than the MD which has a digital humidistat. I plan to install a Honeywell Prestige IAQ Thermostat down the road. Will the Honeywell be able to control the 570DMM or should I get a different humidifier?

CGF Products | Product Catalogue

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-14, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If you are sure you're going to use a thermostat like that, with outdoor temp sensing and humidity control, then the manual humidifier is fine for you.

The only reason I could see to getting the automatic humidistat was to get the remote outdoor sensor that changes the humidity control based on outside temps if the thermostat couldn't do the job.

Old 06-22-14, 02:05 PM
D
Great, thanks for the help. I'll probably be back with questions how to wire it once I get the thermostat.

Old 07-15-14, 07:49 AM
D
Ok I have the prestige stat now. So, for the humidifier all I need to do is take one side of the solenoid to u1 on the eim and the other to c on the eim? Nothing from the humidifier needs to be hooked up to the furnace board any longer?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-17-14, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
The humidifier your are using is non-powered. It requires 24vac to operate. The U terminals on the EIM module are just normally open relay contacts and don't supply power. You'll need a jumper from one of the U1 terminals to R (24vac red).

Name:  eim.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  34.9 KB

Old 07-17-14, 11:00 AM
D
Thank you. With it no longer hooked up to the furnace board will it still only come on with the blower? I believe this is why it was hooked up to the hum terminal on the furnace board (other than getting the power from there).

Old 07-17-14, 11:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
You can configure the stat to run humidifier with fan operation or only in heat mode (when higher humidity is demanded). The latter would be my selection here in Houston.

Old 01-14-15, 06:25 AM
D
Hi all - I've finally been able to test my new furnace and humidifier out as it's -20C or so where I live now. When the furnace is running for a long time on cold nights I can not get the humidity above 30%. I live in a middle unit town home approximately 1200 sqft so it's fairly well sealed. The humidifier is installed on the return with the bypass going to the discharge side under the a-coil. The installer said it was fine. I am wondering if the humidifier is not getting enough airflow? Also wouldn't a lot of the humidity get removed when the air goes through the hx of the furnance again? It's hooked up to the cold water right now and only on when there is heat. Would changing it to hot water and turning it on just with the fan help?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-14-15, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
Would changing it to hot water and turning it on just with the fan help?
Changing the water supply to hot water may help but running the humidifier without hot air is ineffective.

How are you measuring your humidity level ?

Old 01-14-15, 09:16 AM
D
Just via the honeywell tstat (new prestige iaq). When it isn't so cold and the heat is on that much it's around 40%. I also have a honeywell remote temp/humidity sensor in the bedroom and if I use it for humidity results are similar.

Old 01-21-15, 05:30 AM
D
I'm going to switch it over to hot water in a couple days but I have another question. The humidifier on the return is about a foot higher then the bypass tube in the supply. Would this cause an airflow issue? If I lower the humidifier how do I cover the big hole? Just screw a piece of sheet metal over top?

Old 01-21-15, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
The mounting height between the units shouldn't make a difference.