Aprilaire 600a - Solenoid has no voltage

Old 10-07-14, 09:14 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 600a - Solenoid has no voltage

Hi everyone,

With the help of previous installs from this site, I finally got around to installing the Aprilaire 600a. Just connected the water line and placed the humidstat in test mode. Didn't hear any clicks from the solenoid and didn't see any water draining. Yellow wires to the solenoid has no voltage.

Furnace - Model # LUF80C84/95D16-1A (no circuit board or HUM)

Current wiring:

Humidstat R ---> R to furnace
Humidstat C ---> C to furnace
Humidstat G ---> wired to G on thermostat
Humidstat Gf ---> wired to G on furnace
Humidstat W ---> wired to W wire from burner
Humidstat H ---> wired to solenoid
Humidstat H ---> wired to A50 relay

A50 relay ---> wired to supplied transformer
A50 relay ---> wired to H on humidstat

Supplied transformer --> A50 relay
Supplied transformer --> Solenoid

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jnt412

Name:  20141007_120637[1].jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  37.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-07-14 at 07:54 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-14, 10:42 AM
J
Getting 29.2v from the two "H" terminals on the Humidstat. This is with the furnace off. I thought the A50 relay didn't complete the circuit to the "H" terminal until the blower comes on... *** weird ***
Just tried blower activation. The blower turned on but no voltage or clicking from the solenoid.
At this point, no voltage is going to the solenoid with blower activation on or off...

Old 10-07-14, 12:14 PM
J
Tied the two "H" terminal leads together. Water is now flowing out of the drain tube, but only when the blower is on. So far it seems the A50 relay and solenoid is working. Possible bad humidstat. Would like to rule that out somehow before purchasing a new one.

Old 10-07-14, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Name:  500A and 600A.jpg
Views: 4529
Size:  33.1 KB

We don't advocate having the humidistat activate the blower as trying to humidify cool air is not effective. As seen in the diagram above you don't need the A-50 relay and only three wires are needed between the furnace and the humidistat.

Last edited by PJmax; 10-07-14 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-07-14, 10:23 PM
J
Thanks for the response PJmax...

Was told a A50 relay was needed because my oil furnace didn't have a circuit board or HUM. It will also make the Humidstat turn on the solenoid for water flow when the blower is on. I'm unable to view your attachment, can you send it again or tell me which wire configuration can be used..

Thanks, jnt412

Old 10-07-14, 10:38 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry about that....I have no idea what the system did with my picture.

When you wire it as I've shown.... the white/heat wire activates the humidifier. That's why you don't need the A-50. The A-50 is if you use a manual humidistat.

Old 10-08-14, 10:06 AM
J
Your diagram matches what I have wired except for the A50 relay tied to the 24v transformer and the humidstat. "W" wire from humidstat is wired to the oil burner. This wire is around 11v. There is a "W" terminal on the furnace that isn't used. This terminal is around 1v. Does the "W" wire need to be a certain voltage for the humidstat to work properly?...

I've attached the furnace diagram.

jnt412

Attached Images  
Old 10-08-14, 12:12 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the diagram. Plans changed.

You will need to use the A-50 to detect blower run and you will not need the white wire as shown as it brings up a second transformer issue which we don't need to address.

We need to address the activation of the automatic humidistat. Try the wiring I have shown below.

Name:  500A and 600A_OIL.jpg
Views: 2638
Size:  35.5 KB

Old 10-09-14, 07:44 AM
J
Thanks for reply PJMax and the diagram. Was able to wire it according to your diagram. Now I hear the click and see water flowing during test mode while the furnace was on. One thing I did notice is when I place the Humidstat in test mode while the furnace is off (blower not running) I still here the click and see water flowing. Isn't the A50 relay suppose to prevent the voltage to the "W" wire only if blower is on?.

Old 10-09-14, 07:52 AM
Group Moderator
Isn't the A50 relay suppose to prevent the voltage to the "W" wire only if blower is on?.
Yes.... but when you put the humidistat to test it bypasses the white wire control.

Old 10-10-14, 02:05 PM
J
Thanks PJMax... I will print out your oil furnace diagram and add it with the envelope of furnace documentation.

I was trying to see if I could test the Humidifier in manual mode, to make sure the A50 relay was working. Read somewhere that a manual resistor/jumper is needed. Didn't see it in the Aprilaire box so I'm guessing its used for the Model 56 Humidstat and not the 60. Continued to place the Humidstat 60 in manual mode and removed the ODT Sensor wires. Switched the power back on and did a call for heat. Even with the knob turned all the way to 7, I couldn't get the Humidifier to turn on in manual mode. Is there another way of doing it?..

Old 10-10-14, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
With the system in heating mode and the blower running.... can you tell me what you measure between C and W on the humidistat ?

The humidistat may not present enough of a load to get the A-50 to turn on. If that's the case we'll come up with an alternate plan.

Old 10-10-14, 04:36 PM
J
At W and C, getting 25.8v..

Old 10-10-14, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
With 25vac on the W terminal of the humidistat.... it should turn on in automatic mode.

Old 10-10-14, 06:24 PM
J
Haven't installed the outdoor sensor outside yet due to rain. Temps outside is around 45-55f at night. Anyway I can get the humidifier to turn on in manual mode?... Want to make sure everything is working so I can start making the connections nice and neat and close up the access panel...

Old 10-10-14, 10:58 PM
Group Moderator
Pretty close to the same here. No rain but very humid.

You need to open the cover off the humidistat and set the little slide switch to MAN. Not the blower activation switch.

Old 10-11-14, 05:49 AM
J
The switch is set to MAN, Blower Activation is off. Even removed the outdoor sensor from the ODT terminals. When the furnace is running, I turn the knob slowly all the way to the right and Humidifier doesn't turn on. I did read somewhere that the Rh has to be at-least 40Rh for the Humidifier to turn on. My current Rh on the Humidstat display is 48Rh.

Old 10-13-14, 08:34 AM
J
With the Humidstat in Manual Mode, I turned on the heat and watched the Rh display on the Humistat gradually decrease from 51rh to 42rh. Once at 42rh, I turned the knob/dial to 7 and the Humidifier turned on (woo-hoo).

Once the furnace turned off (including the blower), the Humidifier remained on. The green light was still on and water continued to flow from the drain tube. When the Humistat reached 43rh, it turned off.

It seems the A50 relay is supplied with 24vac all the time, when reading from W and C...

Old 10-13-14, 11:24 PM
Group Moderator
If you have the humidistat set to manual then it won't shut off except by humidity. You're going to be running it in auto mode.... won't you ?

Auto mode requires the white wire to activate the control.

Old 10-14-14, 04:41 PM
J
Thanks for the reply PJMax... yes, I will be running it in auto mode once I install the ODT sensor outside..

I also remembered that I found some info. in my furnace documentation about Humidifier Wiring. The diagram below is a part of a relay. This relay is feed into the furnace transformer (Y,G,W,C,R) connections. You can also see this relay in the diagram I posted earlier. The W and C connections in the Humidifier Wiring Diagram (on the relay) has 26.5vac with the blower on only. And .13vac with the furnace running (blower and heat). The Humidifier Wiring also says to wiring the transformer to the black wire coming from the relay. I noticed this black wire comes from the blower motor. Is it possible to wire the Humidifier transformer as depicted in the diagram?.
It could be possible that the A50 relay isn't needed...

Attached Images  
Old 10-15-14, 08:56 AM
J
I was able to modify the furnace diagram to include the transformer that comes with the Humidifier. By connecting:

a. The black wire from the transformer to the black wire on the blower.
b. The white wire from the transformer to the white wire in the junction box (currently connected)
c. H Terminals connected to transformer (currently connected)
d. W wire from Humistat to R wire from Humidstat

Wondering if this will provide 24vac to the transformer only when the blower is on...

Attached Images  
Old 11-19-15, 06:37 PM
J
Just want to give everyone an update...

Bought a new filter for my 600a Humidifier and while I was installing it dawned on me that I never gave a update to this thread on how things turned out.

I was able to get the 600a Humidifier working properly. The Humidstat turns on (lights up) when the blower turns on and shuts off when the blower turns off. The water/solenoid turns on depending on the humidity level. I did have make a minor adjustment to the wiring that PJMax posted. The R and W terminals on the Humidstat needed to be jumped. But I wouldn't have even came close to getting the 600a wired correctly without the help of PJMax (take a bow my friend). I have attached my current wiring setup hoping this may help someone else with a oil fired furnace similar to mine.

Name:  Humidifier_600_wiring to furnace.jpg
Views: 2157
Size:  32.9 KB