Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Humidifiers and Dehumidifiers
Reload this Page >

Looking For Large Humidifier For Whole House (Or Most Of It) - Advice Needed

Old 10-30-14, 03:05 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello folks, just new on this DIY forum. Lots of info here and I love it!

Just purchased a home, built in in the mid 1980, two floors and would like to have a humidifier.
In my previous home, first owner and had a Skuttle (furnace attached) one installed. To me, the maintenance was high due to calcification on the parts and especially the filter on the rotating drum.

What ideas would you have on what to try here. A large standing humidifier for the whole house or furnace-attached (which the latter will be pricey, especially living in Anchorage, Alaska). Please, any ideas would be a great help.

Yes I am quite aware there are work to maintain any equipment but at least I would like to have one with less trouble to maintain.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-14, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,187 Votes on 1,098 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A bypass type on the furnace will require the least maintenance but does use a considerable amount of water.

The standalone type of humidifiers works fairly well but they are a high maintenance item and the water can get a nasty smell. I had one that worked very well but due to the high calcium content in our area... everything turned white and was a nuisance to keep clean. I even tried the tablet additive but that only slightly helped the problem.

Old 11-05-14, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Didn you ever consider a (or more)portable room humidifier? In this way you may just need to turn it on when you need the humidity in the small place. And By the way saving the cost in electricity consumption

Old 11-05-14, 10:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,187 Votes on 1,098 Posts
My standalone was a portable unit on wheels. It looked like a piece of furniture.

Since I have hot air forced heat..... I went back to a bypass type of humidifier mounted on the furnace. Basically, I just have to change the media pad once a season.