Aprilaire 500 no water

Old 11-14-14, 06:58 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 500 no water

I have an Aprilaire humidifier that I installed last month on my goodman furnace. When I completed the installation, it seemed to check out fine. Test mode made the humidifier like blink and then show code R1 to complete the test. When the furnace is on it shows the relative humidity. The outdoor sensor appears to be functioning.

It has gotten colder and drier and I don't think it is working properly. I have NEVER witnessed the water running through the unit. The top of the pad tray is bone dry. I don't hear the solenoid click ever. I thought maybe it wasn't dry enough for it to kick on, but this morning it showed 30% humidity and I thought that setting 7 would get it to turn on, but it wouldn't open the valve. I saw a video that shows it is supposed to run water in the test mode. I didn't realize that, I thought the test was purely electrical. When in test mode no water runs and the solenoid doesn't click open.

I have triple checked the wiring. It is getting 24v from an independent source (not off the furnace board). I have tested successfully 24v at the transformer, at the wires touching the humidistat.

The only think I can think of is the solenoid is toast. How could this be? It is brand new.

Thanks for the help.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-14, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Check for 24vac right at the solenoid valve.

Old 11-14-14, 05:41 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I checked all the voltage and 24 to the valve. Then I rechecked the wiring on the board in the furnace. It's my fault, but the board printing is so poor that the labels were staggered a lot off the terminals. As a result I had the r and w wires each off by a terminal. Moved them and all appears to be working fine. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-14-14, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
You are very welcome. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,