Humidifier wiring questions

Old 11-20-14, 05:35 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Humidifier wiring questions

Need help wiring a powered humidifier to the furnace and to a mechanical humidistat (the one supplied with the humidifier).

I have a Totaline/Carrier P110-LFP1418 humidifier

I have a Lennox G40UH(X) furnace

The humidifier has two wires (both brown) and a sticker on them that states "Caution Do not connect these leads to line voltage" and a standard 120 plug.

The humidifier instructions show both leads going to a 24V coil normally open relay (part HN61KQ120) the other two leads on the relay connect to the C and HUM.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1367
Size:  20.5 KB

So here are my questions.

First I would like to put the humidistat by the thermostat and already have two unused solid 18 gauge wires. The two brown wires (stranded, and I would guess 14 or 16 gauge). For the wiring between the Humidistat, Humidifier and relay can the the wiring be different (solid vs strained and smaller in gauge)? I'm under the impression this connection is just for continuity and no real voltage is running across these.

Second for the C and HUM connections to the HN61KQ120, pins 1 and 3 on the relay. these should connect to the C (Common on screw down block) of the furnace. But the HUM should go to which screw down block terminal? W? I have a HUM-H connection but that is a 120V connection (spade terminal in different part of the board). Am I correct this should be going to one of the 24V screw down terminals to engage the relay when there is heat requested? which should be W, correct?

If all of that is correct and feasible this is how it would look.

One brown lead (lets say 14 gauge stranded) from humidifier to pin 2 of the relay
Second brown lead tied to 18 gauge wire which leads up to mechanical humidistat
Second 18 gauge wire from humidistat to pin 4 of relay
18 gauge wire from pin 1 of relay to C screw down terminal of system board
18 gauge wire from pin 3 of relay to W screw down terminal of system board

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-14, 07:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Am I correct this should be going to one of the 24V screw down terminals to engage the relay when there is heat requested? which should be W, correct?
Yes.... you can connect to the W terminal. The humidifier will operate on a call for heat which is fine.

#18 wiring is fine for the connections.

Old 11-20-14, 08:06 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, very much appreciated.

This is a great forum!