Aprilaire 500 not turning off

Old 12-04-14, 06:30 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 500 not turning off

I have an Aprilaire 500 with the digital humidistat, outdoor sensor, and independent power source, hooked up to my Goodman furnace, humidifier independent blower activation is set to off.

All has been well since install 2 months ago. About 2 weeks ago the wife heard water running. Looked at it and while fan and furnace were off, water was flowing. Turned humidistat off and it stopped. Turn back on and it started again. Heard the solenoid open/ close. Turned furnace system off with power switch and back on. All worked fine for two weeks and now same issue tonight, "rebooted" furnace with power cut and now fine. Note when I cut power to furnace I did not cut power to humidistat. It's like it thinks the furnace is still on.

Any ideas? I have triple checked wiring and all looks correct.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-14, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
If you look at the diagram below.... this is how I wire my units. The W terminal is what tells the humidifier that the furnace is calling for heat. If you remove the W wire the humidifier should stop.

Name:  500A and 600A.jpg
Views: 2315
Size:  33.1 KB

Old 12-19-14, 10:08 AM
J
Sorry for the delayed reply, holidays and all.

I have gone through all of the wiring again and according to the instructions above and it is still happening. Seems every two weeks or so it will continue to run after the furnace has turned off. I can always get it to stop by turning off the humidistat, but when I turn it back on it opens the valve again. The only way to stop it is to turn off the furnace at the switch and then back on. It will then work for fine for another couple of weeks.

I read the entire installation instructions and troubleshooting and the only thing I could come up with was the troubleshooting for the humidifier says if the water doesn't turn off to check the outdoor sensor via the instructions on the prior page. when I did that there is a note at the bottom that says if the humidistat was turned from auto to manual, that a reboot of the humidistat is needed by cutting the power. The humidistat power is reset when I rest the furnace, but the 24v to the solenoid is not since it is an independent power source. Just to make sure I reset the furnace and the 24v power source. I'm not sure if it will make a difference...I guess I will need to wait another couple of weeks to find out...

Old 12-19-14, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
You need to find out what is keeping the automatic humidistat activated. If you have it wired like in the illustration..... removing the W wire should turn the humidistat off..... not the display... just the HH activation.

Old 12-20-14, 03:55 PM
J
Ok. It happened again tonight. I was able to take the cover off the humidistat and do connect the w wire and it stopped. I connected it and on, disconnect off, etc. Obviously the furnace is sending the signal that it is on. I'm not sure what to do about it though.

Old 12-20-14, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Is this a Goodman heatpump system ?
When in defrost the W gets energized to activate the heat coils.

Old 12-20-14, 04:44 PM
J
Goodman gas system with AC