Run the HE360 humidifier on low-stage blower?

Old 12-06-14, 02:38 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Run the HE360 humidifier on low-stage blower?

Anyone know how to wire an HE360 to work with a 2-stage furnace fan? Here's the story...

I just moved into a house and found new furnace with old bypass humidifier mounted to return air duct. Unfortunately this only runs when the furnace fan (stage 2) is on, which does not run long enough, not to mention is burning the water off, to effectively humidify the house.

The furnace has a 2-stage blower fan that we have set to run all year, keeping the air in the house circulating.

So I replaced the bypass humidifier with the HE360, and mounted it in the same location. It is advertised as "compatible with variable speed fans". Unfortunately there is not enough pressure differential with the air switch (sail switch??) when on low to allow the humidity to come on, so I'm back to square one (it only comes on when the heat is on and blower is on high, creating more pressure differential).

Right now I have bypassed the pressure switch. Thinking of a way to fire this with a digital humidistat in conjunction with the fan control. So that the humidifier will run on-demand when on low. Does this make sense?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-14, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
What you want to do is do-able. You don't in particularly need the automatic humidistat but you will probably need a 24vac control relay.

What is the make and model of your furnace ?
You could use the following diagram to do what you want. The humidifier would be active with a call for heat.

Name:  HE_360.JPG
Views: 1346
Size:  31.2 KB

Old 12-06-14, 07:16 PM
S
Cool! I was thinking something similar.

The furnace is a Lennox G61MPV. Here are two wiring diagrams I thought would be relevant (PDF). It actually references that there is a 24V Humidity (H) output terminal.

I'm probably going to get a new control regardless. Do you think I will be employing the H terminal?

I have 5 humidistats (or whatever you call the gauges) in the house and they all read differently. The new humidistat is not engaging until 45% on the dial and this place is as dry as a desert and we are not getting any condensate on the windows during 20 degree nights.

PS I hardwired it for a few hours and let it run with the stage one blower and cannot discern any moisture buildup on the filter or in the return duct, so I'm not too concerned that it is located on the return side. Just want to guarantee that the blower is on when the stat is on.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-06-14, 08:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
At the bottom of the board you can use the C and H screw terminals, instead of C and W, to run the relay. Don't use the 1/4" flat terminal for HUM as that is 120v.

Old 12-07-14, 06:42 AM
S
Perfect! Thank you very much for the help.