Aprilaire 600 solenoid not opening

Old 12-11-14, 06:06 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 600 solenoid not opening

I have an Aprilaire 600 manual humidifier that never worked, I suspect because my contractor didn't wire it correctly. Water never comes out of the solenoid. I checked to ensure water was going to the solenoid (so the output is purposely disconnected right now), and I also tried shorting the wires to the humidistat. I hear a click when I turn the dial of the humidistat back and forth but I don't think I hear anything from the solenoid.

See attached for the wiring (the brown casing on the right connects to the humidistat). This is wired to a Goodman/Amana air handler.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  5a.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  49.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-14, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

the brown casing on the right connects to the humidistat
We can see the brown cable but not what it's connected to.

Old 12-11-14, 06:23 PM
M
The upper right brown cable has 2 wires that connect to the manual humidistat, and the bottom right brown cable connects to the air handler and the connections for the air handler are in the first picture.

Old 12-11-14, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
We can see the brown cable but not what it's connected to.
I'll repeat my statement. What two wires come out of the brown cable and what terminals are they on?

Old 12-12-14, 05:18 AM
M
One is white, the other red. It's a little hard to tell where they're going, but the white appears to be going to W1 and the red to R. Where should they be going?

Also is turning off the 220v power switch at the air handler sufficient during servicing, or should I be flipping the breaker also?

Old 12-12-14, 07:22 AM
Group Moderator
I would turn the breaker off. Sometimes with 240v equipment.... only one leg is switched. Both should be disconnected but without checking with a meter.... I wouldn't assume anything.

It looks like the red and white I circled are the humidifier lines. They are incorrectly connected.
White can stay where it is but the red wire should be on the C terminal. However, there should be two wires in W1. Is your heating system working ?

Old 12-12-14, 02:37 PM
M
Yes heat is working without an issue - any idea how if that's wired wrong? Just don't want to blow the board or break the heating if I start rewiring.

Old 12-12-14, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
I was supposed to link a diagram and I forgot.

Ok..... you need to trace the brown cable that comes from the humidifier splice and confirm which two terminals they are connected to. I can't see that in the diagram. Without that info I can't help you. I see only one wire on the W1 terminal. The W1 terminal needs to be activated to get heat. Since you have heat.... the single white wire on W1 must be the thermostat wire.... not the humidifier white.

Old 12-14-14, 04:55 PM
M
So I double-checked and it's as I said - the white wire is going to W1, and the red one to R. See attached for more pictures - it's the brown cable with the yellow/blue/green wrapping that connects to the solenoid and humidistat. Heat is definitely working even though you think that shouldn't be possible, correct? How is it supposed to be wired? If it helps, the white wire going into G leads outside the utility room so I'm guessing that's the connection to the thermostat. Also the air handler blinks Ec in red.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Name:  2014-12-14 19.42.09.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  t1.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  47.1 KB

Old 12-14-14, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe I should have asked this from the start. What kind of system are we dealing with ?
Heatpump and no backup electric heat coils ?

Old 12-14-14, 06:34 PM
M
Lochinvar boiler, Amana AVPTC air handler + hot water coil