Connect Honeywell HE250 to ecobee 3 tstat

Old 12-12-14, 06:11 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connect Honeywell HE250 to ecobee 3 tstat

I just installed an ecobee 3 tstat in my house. I have a Honeywell HE250 and am not sure how to hook it up. The ecobee has acc+/- terminals(no h1 h2). My furnace does not have h1/h2 on the board. The guide says to wire 24v to acc on the tstat and to connect common on humidifier to the common on the furnace board. My humidifier is powered by a transformer connected to the furnace power out let. I only want to run the humidifier when there is a call for heat. I wanted to check in here first before doing anything as the advice has always been great here.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-14, 12:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Assuming you have an external transformer to the "power in-24vac" terminals.

Connect the C terminal of the HE250 to the C terminal of the furnace.
Connect the W terminal of the HE250 to the ACC+ terminal of the Ecobee.
Put both dip switches in the left position.

Old 12-13-14, 09:04 AM
R
Unfortunately this didn't work.
HE is externally powered by transformer connected to outlet.
(I'm confused as to what constitutes internal vs external power) I mention this because ecobee 3 installation says the following:

If externally powered:
24V connects to acc+
C connects to acc -

If internally powered
24V connects to acc+
C connects to acc-

W is connected to ACC+
C is connected to C on furnace.
Both dip switches are set to off.

Old 12-13-14, 10:19 AM
R
Well it looks like I will have jerry rig something. I only have 8 wires to my tstat and apprently I need 9. Who has 9 wires running to a tstat?

Since my humidifier is externally powered I have to do the following:

If externally powered:
24V connects to acc+
C connects to acc -

I can do this by using the power extender supplied with the ecobee, it will allow me to run Com over several wires thus freeing up a tstat wire for acc-

The only questions left are:

Is the W terminal on the HE250 = to 24V connection that ecobee is referring to?
Do I still keep the two dip switches on the HE off if I just want humidity with heat call?

Is routing power from the furnace to the humidifier a possibility or does it even make sense?

Old 12-13-14, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
So in other words.... you have a spare wire in your thermostat cable that runs from your furnace to your thermostat. That wire is connected to ACC+ at the thermostat and to the W terminal on the HE250. Do I have that correct ?

At your thermostat or furnace..... connect the wire that you had going to the ACC+ terminal to the R terminal to confirm the TruSteam is working.

If yes.... it sound like a programming issue in the Ecobee.

Old 12-13-14, 11:20 AM
R
I don't have a spare wire. If I had a spare wire this should be more straight forward. I have 8 wires and a two stage system. I just installed the power extender module on the ecobee and that has freed up the common wire going to the tsat. Now I have the common wire going to acc- on the tstat and C of the humidifier. w on the humidifier going to acc+ on the tstat.

It still doesn't work. The instructions call for

24V on the humidifier wired to acc+ on the tstat
C on the humidifier wired to acc- on the tstat

SO I guess my question is "w" the wrong connection in this setup? If so what is the connection 24V they are referring to?

Old 12-13-14, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
When you apply 24vac from the furnace to the C and W terminals on the humidifier.... does it operate ???

I'm trying to confirm that 24 vac on those two terminals will make the humidifier start.

Old 12-13-14, 03:21 PM
R
I connected R from the furnace to w on the trueease. I also connected C to C. I get nothing, both dip switches are set to off.

Old 12-13-14, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Let me check into this further.

Old 12-23-14, 04:55 AM
R
Ok so for those in the same situation as I here is what you need to do. Disregard all the information posted above as it will not work.

This pertains to those who have a Honeywell TrueEase humidifier(HE 150, 200, 250) powered by it's own transformer and two stage heating and cooling.

1. Make sure both dip switches on the TrueEase humidifier are set to "Off"(left position)
2. You must have at least 8 wires running to the e3 tstat from the furnace. If you happen to have 9 wires, skip to step 6.
3. Follow the directions for connecting the power extender to your furnace. Doing so will free up the Common wire.
4. Connect the Common wire to ACC- on the e3.
5. Move the Rh wire to Rc on the e3.
6. Connect the Hum 1 and Hum 2 from the humidifier(using 2 wires) to ACC+ and ACC-(the 7. Common wire you just freed up) on the thermostat wire.
7. Reset your e3 and configure the humidifier for two wire operation. Simply reconfigure your equipment sometimes doesn't work!
8. If you want the humidifier to only run on a heat call, select "Evaporate". If you want to run it on a fan call, select "Steam".

You should be all set. Don't forget to turn the humidifier on in the e3 system settings. I had to suggest to Ecobee support about using the power extender. So thanks for that Steve.