Aprilair max humidity level reached is 32%

Old 12-14-14, 08:39 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilair max humidity level reached is 32%

This is a April air 800 steam unit. I had my system installed by a HVAC guy. Since then nothing but problems.
Currently i am running 240 volts with 16amps and still can not get the humidity in my house to go beyond 32%. THe black feed tube is very hot (which is probably a good thing) the Heat runs and when it goes off the fan continues to run constantly as does the steam light. But the humidity does not go beyond 32%. Everything seems to work as it is supposed to, except for the expected result of more humidity.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-14, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,105 Votes on 1,025 Posts
I don't know all the fine points of that unit but if it's running on 240vac and it's drawing 16amps then it should be capable of putting over 23 gallons water into the air per day.

So you are saying that the humidistat is keeping the blower fan running and the humidifier operating continuously and the humidity is still not rising ?

Did you have a previous humidifier that worked better ?
Is this a large, older home... a lot of air leakage ?

Old 12-14-14, 09:41 AM
O
2100 sq ft home , well insulated. Geo heat pump. Them outside in 20s at night. The black tube gets hot so steam if flowing.
Should be capable of 32 gals with 16 amps. The humidistat on the return vent show 32% RH, and my humidistat in the house just in front of the return vent shows 32%. But i leave it on and it just runs all the time. I have model 62 humidistat that came with the unit and it has the option to run without heat from my system and will turn on my HVAC system fan if humidity is needed. If i do not run the fan without heat (at times) the humidity goes even lower. This is the first whole house humidifier i ever had

Old 02-03-15, 03:54 AM
S
I have exactly the same problem. I have measured the amperage on the unit and it's pulling it's full 16 amps on both phases, and the steam pipe is HOT (AND I visually confirmed that steam is coming out of the pipe into the duct).

So... did you ever figure out what was going on? Tried replacing the canister?

Old 02-03-15, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
If the current consumption was low then you might need to change the canister but it sounds like your unit is working normally.

Old 02-03-15, 10:59 AM
S
So then I guess I am totally lost as to what can be happening - if it's drawing current, and making steam, but the house is staying <30 %, I have only a few ideas:

1. the steam is "not actually as much as it should make" - maybe because most of it is re-condensing in the tube and going back into the canister - a test of the total flow in gallons on the water line will determine if this is the case, as there's no water wasted until the drain is opened, and under continuous duty, the drain is not opened. -- this is possible I suppose, but my steam hose run is not very long, and has few bends (2 bends, to be exact)

2. the house is "absorbing" a fantastic amount of water, and at some point, will reach saturation, and the RH will "pop up" at that point. -- this seems most plausible, but after several days, I'm yet to see it pop. There's a lot of air mass and a lot of house mass, so I suppose that it could take significant time.

3. the house is venting a fantastic amount of water from poor seals, drafts, etc. -- I don't think this is the case since it's a newer house (2004) and was built with 2x6 walls and is very sealed up.

Old 03-04-15, 10:49 AM
M
I am having a similar problem with the Aprilaire 800. However, the unit simply turns itself off when it gets to around 35% R.H. I have already moved the controller to manual mode, and have the setting at "7" and it just won't add more humidity to my home.

Old 03-04-15, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

So what is the actual humidity when it turns the humidifier off at 35% ?
35% humidity is fine for a winter humidity level.