Aprilaire 560 Humidifier: Inoperable

Old 01-11-15, 03:10 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 560 Humidifier: Inoperable

Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding an Aprilaire humidifier (Model 560 with a manual humidistat controller) that is not working. It was already installed in the home that we just bought so I have no idea if it has ever worked.

There is 25VAC at the RC terminals of the humidistat controller when the furnace (GKS9) is on. Iíve confirmed that the jumper has been installed correctly for the 560. There is also a hot water line feeding the solenoid. The problem is that nothing happens when turning the controller dial so Iím trying to figure out if I need to replace the controller or the solenoid.

Is there supposed to be a measurable voltage across the H terminals of the controller when the 25VAC is present at the RC terminals? What is the best way to determine which component is causing the problem?

Also, what is the purpose of the Outdoor Temperature Sensing Bulb for a manual controller? My understanding is that for the manual controller, manual adjustments are to be made based on outside air temperature.

Iíve included a photo of the controller for reference.

Thank you in advance for any advice which you may be able to offer.
~Troy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-15, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 931 Votes on 868 Posts
You will no longer be using the old controller.... correct ?
You will need to do some rewiring. I've attached the 550 diagram which is almost identical. You will need a switched source of 24vac from the furnace. The diagram shows using a current sensing relay. Your furnace may have a HUM connection already that can be used.

Post the make and complete model number of your furnace.

Name:  550M.jpg
Views: 6357
Size:  24.3 KB

Old 01-24-15, 09:01 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi PJ, Thank you for the response on this.

Yes, I am changing the controller to a different model and I already have a switched source of 24vac (25vac actual) from the furnace which is 2 wires: a red one and a white one.

The new controller is model# 4655 which comes with a wiring diagram very similar the one which you posted for the 550.

My big question is regarding the polarity of the controller. There are two terminals on the controller: one labeled “NO” and the other “C.”

If I were to guess, I would connect the red 24vac wire from the furnace to the “NO” terminal on the controller, the “C” terminal from the controller to one yellow lead on the solenoid, and the second yellow lead from the solenoid to the white 24vac wire on the furnace.

Thoughts?

Old 01-24-15, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 931 Votes on 868 Posts
Since the circuitry is AC..... there is no polarity. They can be connected either way and in any order.

I didn't realize there were two threads running for this humidifier. We'll keep this one going.