Best installed dehumidifier

Old 01-13-15, 07:58 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best installed dehumidifier

I have talked to 3 different sources about the best dehumidifier to install in my basement and have gotten three different answers, so curious what you all would recommend based on anyone with experience. Honeywell Model # DH90A which removes 90 pints a day for $2,267, SaniDry CX Model for $1,700 which removes 109 pints per day, Sante Fe Advance 2 which removes 90 pints per day for $2,600.

My basement is 800 sq ft and i also have 1250 of crawlspace about 2.5 ft high that i might want to pipe some air over into off of this machine. Thoughts on which one of these would be the best or are there other brands i should consider?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-15, 09:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
Does your basement have A/C ?

I'm familiar with the Honeywell model only.
The model you are quoting has been replaced by the DR-90A. The DR uses 410A refrigerant as opposed to R-22 for the older model.

Also, it appears that you are quoting an installed price as the unit is under $1300 retail..... is that correct ?

Old 01-26-15, 07:58 AM
D
Yes, my basement has A/C but the problem is it stays cool down there and the A/C rarely comes on, which leads to higher humidity levels. Also, you were correct...these are installed prices. However, not sure why it would cost so much to "install"...aren't they pretty much plug in and turn on? I know they will have to run a drain line to my sump pump or somewhere but that doesn't seem like a big deal...any ideas on why install labor would be so high?

As far as the Honeywell, are they reliable and how many years of service do you think this dehumidifier would give me?

Old 01-26-15, 08:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Santa Fe is the only make I have seen consistently endorsed here.

That said, not my area of expertise.

Old 01-26-15, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Usually the permanent type dehumidifiers require some ductwork.
Was there any mention of that in the install quote ?

Old 01-26-15, 11:08 AM
D
Yes, they were going to install the dehumidifier in my mechanical room in basement, right next to the HVAC unit, and run a few feet of ductwork over to the existing return and existing ductwork. I was to provide an electrical outlet so that is not included in the quote.

As far as the Sante Fe or the Honeywell, does anyone know a rough idea of how many years of service one can expect...2, 3, 5, 10? Just rough idea or range is fine. Also, why do you think most recommend the Sante Fe...price, longevity, etc? I don't mind paying a bit more for a better product if it is truly better in some way.

Old 01-26-15, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
I know the Honeywell units are guaranteed for five years. I would expect a useable life up to ten years.

The Sante Fe comes with a two year warranty on all parts and labor and five year warranty on the sealed refrigeration system.

Old 01-26-15, 03:01 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Santa Fe are top of the line. 15 plus years average lifespan plus you get the filtered air