Humidifier is not humidifying

Old 01-15-15, 07:00 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Humidifier is not humidifying

OK - Banging my head against the wall with this one. I have a Generalaire Model 1042LH humidifier hooked up to my Carrier gas furnace. I have a good hygrometer. Last year was a much colder and dryer winter and I was able to get my house up over 50% humidity easily.

This unit: HERE

Recently the weather had been cold and dry. (Toronto) and I've not been able to get the house above 30% humidity unless I boil pots of water on the stove.

I have put in a new evaporator pad. The water is flowing well into the drain. I'm leaving the fan on 24/7 but it still doesn't go up.

All the dampers are open. I have an electrostatic filter that is clean....

So why is my house so dry? Water flows through the passing air. This should work, no?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-15, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
You changed the pad which is what I would have recommended you try first.

Have you check the distribution pan up top to see if water is flowing over the entire pad ?
The entire pad must be wet. I'm guessing the unit is mounted level.

Are you on a well water system ? There is a strainer in the supply side of the solenoid valve that can get clogged with grit. If you have low water pressure... under 40psi... there is a larger water supply orifice that will allow slightly more water to flow.

Other than what I mentioned.... nothing else comes to mind.

Old 01-16-15, 06:11 AM
T
I'm on city water and its pretty soft.

The water is flowing through the unit well too. This is what's got me stumped. Air passing through the water should equal humidity.

Perhaps this particular pad is the problem. It's an after market from Home Depot but the look identical do I can't imagine the difference. I'm going to see if I can find an actual Generalaire unit to see if that helps.

Old 01-16-15, 12:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
Ahhh... an aftermarket one. Did it have a this side UP marking or stamping on it ?

Old 01-16-15, 07:03 PM
T
Definitely installed right side up. I'm going to try another pad but I just can't see how it's going to make a difference. Water still flowing over a pad. There is one thing. This new pad, and all the pads I see online seem to have this ceramic-like coating on the mesh. I tossed out the old one but I could swear the coating wasn't on the old pad. I'm also told that this coating is there to absorb water and thus create more surface area.....which sort of makes sense. But is this the case or something put on to protect the metal - and at the same time lessened the water that would evaporate on it?