Aprilaire 800 humidifier connection question

Old 01-18-15, 04:29 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Aprilaire 800 humidifier connection question

I have installed an Aprilaire 800 . I currently have the humidstat wires coming from the AA800 "short circuited" in order for the humidifer to run continuously. I shut it off at the breaker when I don't want humidity since it has a dedicated 220 connection. I have to leave the fan "on" in order to use it this way.

The house is VERY dry and I want the AA800 to run ANYTIME the fan goes on, whether it be "fan", "heat". ( If cooling, of course I would have the breaker to the unit off).

Right now I have to manually put the fan "on" anytime I turn the breaker to the AA800 on.

The furnace/handler has an EWC NCM300 control panel.

I am trying to figure out WHERE I can find a "switch" (with no power) on the board in order to put the two wires coming from the AA800 so that it turns on when the fan turns on....

I WANT to bypass the humidistat that came with the AA800.

Any ideas. I was told that I had to be careful, since if I connect to the wrong place I will send 24volts back to the AA800 and blow the board............

IF that is not possible, I wouldn't find using the Aprilaire Model 62 Humidistat if there was a way to bypass the humidity reading since I already have it installed in the ductwork and it reads about 2x what the reading in the house actually is...........so basically, it reads so high, that the unit won't turn on unless I can find a way for it to be "continuious" but I don't see a setting for that.

Thanks for any help / ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-15, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The following should do what you need. When the system calls for fan... the relay closes and brings on the AA-800.

Name:  ncm300.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  43.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-05-15 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-18-15, 05:54 PM
N
Red face Another question.......??

Thanks for the reply Pete,

I am lost as to where I am supposed to find the relay? Is it something that is already there or is it something that I need to buy and install?

I understand the concept..............but just want to verify that even thought the "piece" shows a 24v relay, that the actually terminals that that humidistat wires attach to have no power and are just a switch.........

Thanks again for your prompt response!

Old 01-18-15, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
That's just a basic 24vac normally open relay. No power goes to the humidifier.

The relays are available from many places and there is nothing critical about it.

Fan Relay 24V 4 Terminal SPST N.O. Heavy Duty U L Rated Smart Elec | eBay

Old 01-19-15, 04:57 AM
N
Red face Aprilaire 800 Direct with Fan Activation

Thanks again Pete. You are very helpful.

Old 01-20-15, 12:08 AM
Group Moderator
You're welcome. Let us know how you make out.

Old 01-20-15, 06:21 AM
N
Unhappy Aprilaire 800 Fan Relay

Pete,

Believe it or not, I went to 2 plumbing stores, 2 electrical stores and a specialty electronic store yesterday looking for the piece so I didn't have to wait for it. NOONE had one and everyone was making a big project out of it because I didn't know how many amps I needed etc.

I wanted to get it locally since I am going away for 3 weeks, but was unable to. SO, I ordered from the link you sent and will have that waiting for me when I get back and then I'll install it then. I ordered 2 of them just in case I destroyed one since they were so cheap.

I'll reply so that you know and it helps anyone else trying to do something similar.

Thanks