Aprilaire 60 with a Honeywell communication module

Old 01-18-15, 05:35 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 60 with a Honeywell communication module

All,

I am installing an Aprilaire 600, I have a WaterFurnace Envision geothermal furnace. I have not tried to get into the furnace to run wires to, because my thermostat (three wire Honeywell) runs to a Honeywell communication module (the thermostat connects to the 1,2,3 terminals on the module). The module looks like this:

So I have no G from the thermostat, but I was planning to use Pete's wiring diagram, which drops G and Gf. My problem is that I don't know which of the three W on the module to tie in to, W1, W2, or W3. I put it on W2 at first and it ran one test cycle fine, but has not run since even though the RH is less than what it should kick on at (I've tried in Auto and Manual modes). Then I tried W1 and it will not run at test either. I can jump the solenoid so I know that is not the problem.

I feel like the answer is on this forum but in hours of reading I haven't seen a setup quite like mine. Thank you everyone for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-15, 05:54 PM
I
OK I just checked around with my multimeter some more and none of the W's have any current when the furnace is running ... Y and G both have 3V. I was assuming that W would tell the humidistat that the furnace was running so that it could open the solenoid if my RH, but I must be missing something

Thanks again for any help!

Old 01-18-15, 06:13 PM
I
I know this is going to seem like I'm talking to myself but maybe it will help someone else ... I'm starting to think that the fact that I have geothermal has something to do with it. Maybe my W's only get power when the auxiliary heating coils come on, not when the geothermal pump is working? If so, should I be running G to G instead of W to W? Or maybe W to G?

Old 01-18-15, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,117 Votes on 1,037 Posts
Are you hearing voices ?

I believe you are correct on your theory concerning the W terminals.
When following my wiring diagram..... 24vac power on the W terminal activates the humidistat.

There are always alternatives...... like a current sensing relay or sail switch.

I'm looking into this for you and my forum partner, Houston, may have an idea too.

Old 01-19-15, 03:45 AM
I
Thanks Pete. I had never heard of a sail switch before but the conconcept makes sense. Could you explain why I couldn't just use the controllere G wire though? I really appreciate the help!

Old 01-19-15, 05:01 PM
I
I set my thermostat to Emergency Heat, and got 26V on my white wire. But even with my humidistat at 7 and an RH of 30% (it's 40 degrees outside) my solenoid didn't open. No luck with test mode either. I'm getting 29V across my two H terminals at the humidistat, same across the two terminals of the transformer. I swear it ran right after I finished the wiring; the HVAC had been down long enough that the temperature in the house dropped a lot, and I now imagine it kicked on in emergency heat mode (so I got current on my W). Any ideas?

Old 01-19-15, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,117 Votes on 1,037 Posts
Powering up the W wire should have activated the humidistat. Maybe try turning the level up.

You could use the G terminal. At least try it and see how it works.