Dehumidifier Corroded Ground Connections

Old 01-31-15, 10:09 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dehumidifier Corroded Ground Connections

I took our 3 yr old Kenmore dehumidifier apart to clean it up. It was very clean inside except one area where two ground wires are screwed onto a steel plate which in turn was tacked onto the evaporator which appears to be aluminum fins with copper gas tubes running through them. I'm thinking of removing the two grounds from the corroded plate and using a wire nut or Marr connector to join them together. Then add a third wire, probably #14 copper, from the wire nut to the copper tubes. I'm not sure how to connect this third wire onto the copper tubes though. Any suggestions? Is there a better method of performing this repair?

Name:  IMG_2998.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  43.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-15, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,105 Votes on 1,025 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Looks like some type of electrolysis has taken effect there. Removing and connecting the two grounds together is a good idea. When you add a third piece of wire for your tail.... you'll still need to connect it to that evaporator assembly but maybe all the way at the bottom.

Old 02-01-15, 11:04 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome PJmax.

Electrolysis due to dissimilar metals was what I suspected as well. That's why I thought using a piece of #14 copper wire for the third wire and clamping it onto one of the copper gas tubes would be a good idea. Just not sure how to fasten it securely though. Perhaps a very small diameter gear clamp? As I mentioned this unit is only 3 years old. Obviously a lot of thought was put into the design of the original grounding system!

Old 02-01-15, 01:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,105 Votes on 1,025 Posts
Obviously a lot of thought was put into the design of the original grounding system!
Yeah.... little to none.

Not sure I'd connect to one of the copper lines though.