Location for Aprilaire 700 on Trane heat pump

Old 02-07-15, 10:50 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Location for Aprilaire 700 on Trane heat pump

Hello all,
I am relatively new to home DIY, but know the basics of auto/moto mechanics, plumbing, electrical, etc. I recently purchased an Aprilaire 700 whole-house humidifier, and plan to install it soon. The instructions say it can be installed either on the return or the supply, although the supply is recommended with a heat pump. From the looks of it, this HVAC already had a humidifier installed at one point, since there's a cut out square (which exactly matches the 700's footprint), and a capped copper water line running to the air handler. As you can see from the pics, the existing cutout is on the return side, and low, only a foot or so off the ground. I think I have room to mount the unit above the coils on the supply side. Is this a bad idea with the 220V right below? Anybody have an opinion??
Thanks for the input!
Name:  20150206_171340_small.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  24.1 KB

Old 02-09-15, 08:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Welcome to the forums & sorry for the slow reply. I don't suggest any humidifier on a heat pump. If you feel you must have humidification, buy a free standing unit or two.

Old 02-09-15, 10:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Ditto on the slow response.

Normally a humidifier is not effective on a heat pump but the 700 is a steam unit and will work ok with cooler heating air.

I see a square patch in the bottom but the water line is where you circled ?

Do you know exactly where the coil is ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: