Honeywell HE220 humidifier bypass installation

Old 11-12-12, 09:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a Honeywell HE220 Humidifier bypass, have read the instruction, as well as the DVD instruction. However, I am stuck at the very first step: pick a location to mount.

First question:
I believe i have a highboy system, (attached two pictures) and i know that AC N-Coil is located right above furnish. Honeywell recommend mounting the humidifier on supply duct, and bypass to return duct.
I have taken couple pictures to better show my set up here, I have some space to mount the humidifier at supply duct but it would be right above the AC coil and it's where the supply duct Y-Split to left and right, is this a good location to mount it?

first picture shows where i planned to mount the humidifier, and the by pass has to make a turn in order to connect to the return duct, as shown in 2nd picture. the bypass would be sloping downward, is it bad? i saw my friend's house set up like that.

second question:
Is getting water from HOT pipe better than cold? would the Hot water damage the plastic picture and saddle valve that are provided in the kit?

and for the pressure switch and humidistat, are they supposed to mount at least 8in above the bypass / humidifier at return duct?

first time homeowner with very limited knowledge with all these home improvement thing. would really appreciate for your input.

Attached Images   
Old 11-12-12, 09:05 PM
In addition, I live in Toronto, Canada not sure if it makes any different in the setting. Some people told me to use cold water and some said Hot is better. i am confused.
Winter is around the corner, I am hoping i can get this done so my daughter wont complain about dry skin itchiness. Thanks again

Old 11-13-12, 06:23 AM
You can mount the unit anywhere you want, but most of us prefer to mount the unit on the return.. That way if something did go wrong with the humidifier, you not going to get the water into the furnace itself.

I'd suggest moving it on to the return then run the by-pass right up into the supply duct that is on the back side, no need to wrap all around to the side.

I would not use the pressure switch, looks like you have a newer furnace, so you could hook it up to that instead. What is the make and model of the furnace? (You may have to take the cover off and look for the sticker on the side.

Hot or cold? I prefer the hot water, it helps add more humidity into the air and it won't hurt the line or valve, unless you got the water heater cranked all the way up.

Old 11-13-12, 08:53 AM
Thanks Jay11J for the reply.
I opened up the furnace cover, and see this model #N9MP1050B12C2, not sure of the brand but it said Keeprite on the furnace body.
I have taken some more pictures for reference. One is the label inside the furnace cover, the other one is the circuit board, I have no idea what they are and how am I suppose to hock the wire up from humidifier to it. Could you please advise?

What's the advantage by connecting it to furnish instead of pressure switch?

As for the mounting location, what you suggest is mounting the humidifier on my current bypass duct location, and then bypass duct connect to my current humidifier location, am I understanding you correctly?

thanks again

Attached Images   
Old 11-13-12, 12:12 PM
I am completely rookie on this, please help. thanks\

Old 11-13-12, 01:52 PM
I am not able to find info on this.. Can you take photo of the wire diagram that is found on back of the blower door.

Old 11-13-12, 04:02 PM
Thanks again jay
Here are the pictures, I took couple more for the circuit board if you need to see it.

On left side of the circuit board, I can see there is a Hum 24VAC (2nd picture) and R-C-W-Y-G. and on the very right side, there is another HUM. On the manual it said 115VAC.(3rd picture)

I did some research over the internet and learned that I need to wire humidifier to Hum 24V. and forget about the transformer. But I do not know how should I wire it. Do i connect the red wire to hum 24V and then the white wire to C on the circuit board?

again, i am really rookie to this. I didnt even know which duct is supply / return few days ago, it would be nice if you can give me a step by step instruction.

By the way, is there any thing I should do everything when I touch the circuit board? I do not want to blow the fuse. I sort of worry about those static issue.
Thanks so much

Attached Images     

Last edited by 123sillyboy123; 11-13-12 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-13-12, 06:55 PM
Correct, red wire on 24v HUM, and other to C, just like in this drawing..

I put the humidifier unit on the return duct where you had your bypass going to in your drawing.

The bypass can go up on the duct work that branches off above.

Turn off your main breaker that feeds the furnace, and you don't have to worry about static hurting the board.. it's not like some elctronics.

Old 11-13-12, 07:36 PM
I think I sort of getting it.
new to wiring so better be safe, I drew my diagram out of the understanding of yours.

each wire has a split on each end, the wires that go to Humidifier, red will connect to humidifier black color (order doesnt matter)... white color wire will twist together with the other white.
and the wire that goes to furnace, red has to go to Hum 24VAC, white goes to C.
am I understanding it right?

I read on other post mentioned about #50 relay, it's not in my case right?

Thanks alot

Attached Images  
Old 11-13-12, 07:41 PM
and last question, I hope.
I am going to mount humidifier to return duck but for the bypass duct, should I attach it to the branch that goes horizontal across the house? or should I attach it to where it starts the Y split ?
Thanks

Last edited by 123sillyboy123; 11-13-12 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-13-12, 08:11 PM
Correct on the drawing of the wire.

A50 is not used, so no need to worry about that.

Yes, the bypass on the branch that goes across the house.

Old 11-13-12, 08:17 PM
really last question.. LoL
please refer to the picture, Point B is where I should attach the bypass right?

and C on furnace is already occupied, just connect them altogether right?

Cant thank you enough.

Attached Images  
Old 11-13-12, 08:31 PM
You can put it on "A" location.

Old 11-13-12, 10:04 PM
got you. will do this over the weekend, hope i can have it all work out. thanks for your replies along.

Old 11-14-12, 08:28 PM
Got another question,
Furnace manual under the Thermostat section said this,
Heat anticipator setting will need to be measured if 24VAC humidifier is installed. Measure current in series from R to W at the Thermostat. Be sure 24VAC humidifier is wired up to control. Allow furnace to operate for two minutes before recording the AC amperage reading. Set anticipator on thermostat to recorded value.

does it matter to my case?
THanks

Old 11-14-12, 10:07 PM
What do you have for thermostat? Lot of the newer ones has it's own setting.

Old 11-15-12, 12:26 PM
it said "White rogers" on the housing... and when i open it.. model # 1E78-144 NON-PRGM

thanks

Old 11-15-12, 07:45 PM
That is a new electronic stat, so no need to worry about the anticipator setting.

Old 11-21-12, 04:47 PM
Jay, Thanks so much. I have it all set up this past weekend and it's all up and running.

Attached Images  
Old 11-21-12, 07:15 PM
Thank you for sharing this with us, and all looks good to me!

Then when spring comes, don't forget to close the bypass damper, replace the pad, and clean the tray.

Old 12-30-14, 09:17 AM
S

Thank you for this thread. I am also from Toronto and about to install this exact Humidifier.

The thread is very helpful.

Chris

Old 02-07-15, 08:14 PM
B
Hey, what are the dimensions (width and height) for the Honeywell HE220 humidifier? I have limited space on return vent to mount, want to double check before buying this for my system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: