Aprilaire 500 Installation Angle

Old 02-17-15, 12:49 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Aprilaire 500 Installation Angle

Hello. I am looking to install an Aprilaire 500 humidifier and have a question about installation at an angle. I have read and understand that the humidifier needs to be installed level in order to ensure that water flows evenly through the water panel but I was wondering if installing it at a slight vertical angle would be OK. The reason I ask is that my HVAC system is in a pretty tight area and the return plenum, where I intend to install the humidifier, goes up away from the furnace at about a 5 degree angle in order to avoid a ceiling joist. If I install the humidifier on that plenum it would therefore also be sitting at about a 5 degree vertical angle. Picturing this in my head I would think that this would still be OK as long as the humidifier was level (horizontally) because the water, though it may pool slightly at the top of the water panel before reaching the holes to travel down through the panel, would still ultimately hit the holes evenly and then be distributed evenly down through the water panel. However, I wanted to ask the question here and get some input.

Also, if it is crucial that the humidifier not sit at any vertical angle, is there any method or product for extruding the plenum a bit to create a flat spot to install the humidifier that has no angle?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-15, 03:52 PM
T
First a quick edit: the humidifier would be installed on the supply plenum NOT the return.

Second, not sure if it matters but the slope of the 5 degree vertical angle is up and to the right and I would be installing the humidifier on the left face of the plenum. Therefore the humidifier would be "resting" on the plenum instead of hanging off of it if that makes sense.

Thanks.

Old 02-17-15, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is it possible to post a picture of where you want to put it ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 02-17-15, 05:58 PM
T
Pictures

The first picture is looking straight on the plenum. The left face is where I want to install the humidifier. I marked up the image to show where the angle is.

Name:  IMG_20150217_184605_annotated.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  35.6 KB

The second picture is looking at the face of the plenum where I want to install the humidifier. You can see the angle in this picture too (though not marked up in any way).

Name:  IMG_20150217_184528.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  29.2 KB

Thanks.

Old 02-17-15, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
My concern wasn't the supply side as much as it was that the water needs to run out thru the drain. Before you mount the unit..... hold it at the mounting angle in which it will be mounted and make sure water will run towards the drain line.

Old 02-18-15, 07:15 AM
T
Will do. Assuming that it does not flow out the drain as it should, my only other alternative is the front face of the plenum shown in the picture below. As you can see I would have to move the exhaust vent for the furnace out of the way a bit and also move some of the piping that feeds into the return plenum. Would it be all right for me to T the bypass from the humidifier into one of the pipes that go into the return plenum or do I need to pipe the bypass directly into the plenum itself? If I can T into one of the other pipes in the picture it might not be so bad to install on that face of the supply plenum. Also, that face of the supply plenum looks to be pretty vertical (no sloping angle).

Name:  IMG_20150218_075842_v2.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  43.7 KB

Thanks.

Old 02-18-15, 02:13 PM
T
Or alternatively could I put some shims underneath the sides of the humidifier to get it plumb and then put tape around the opening to seal it?