Kenmore Dehumidifier Cycles On and Off

Old 05-30-15, 11:33 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Dehumidifier Cycles On and Off

I have a Kenmore model 580, 65 pt. large room dehumidifier that I use to dehumidify my whole house. This unit is about 13 yrs. old and up until about a year ago had been doing a great job. It would start up and run about 20 min., then start cycling on for about 5 min. then 2 min. off. It didn't matter that I had selected the lowest humidity of 30% or not. I found an old thread on this site that suggested that I physically relocate the internal humidistat (located next to the evaporator coil) to an external location on the unit. That didn't seem to help until I decided to wet a piece of paper towel and drape it over the sensor of the humidistat. Success! What I need to know now is how to cut into the three conductor cable that is attached to the humidistat so that it sends a signal to the dehumidifier to keep running. The individual conductors are brown, red and yellow. One of them is probably common, the other two are probably on and off. If anyone out there can help me on this, I would surely appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-15, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The 580 denotes your Kenmore dehumidifier was manufactured by LG. Your actual model number should be 580.XXXXXXXXXXX.

Your humidistat sounds like it's defective. Are you saying you want to bypass it ?

Most humidistats that use three wires have a power, neutral and switched out connection.

Old 05-31-15, 08:36 AM
M
Thank you for your prompt reply. During the first year of purchase and while the unit was still in warranty, this same problem occurred. Now, many years after, the same problem has returned. I suspected the humidistat the first time and apparently that's the problem now.

Rather than replacing it, and since I'm dehumidifying the whole house, there's little reason to need precise humidity control. So, yes, bypassing it is what I would like to do. The three conductor cable plugs into the stat so I guess I can just try unplugging it if I can figure out how to release the connector. I hated to cut the wires only to find out the machine wouldn't even run then.

Thank you so much for helping me on this.

Old 05-31-15, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
If you just unplug the cable the unit will probably not start. I could still use the model number.

Old 05-31-15, 05:37 PM
M
Kenmore dehumidifier Cycles On and Off

The complete model no. is 580.52650100.

Thanks, Pete

Old 05-31-15, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
I was not able to locate a service manual for this unit. I think the pic below is or is similar to your humidity sensor.

The three pin plug should just pull out with a minimal pull but I believe the unit won't function.
You will probably need a voltmeter to read the voltage between the red and black wires and the white and black wires and then a resistor could be subbed or attached to the board. It'll be a little experimental.

Name:  sensor.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  22.6 KB

Old 05-31-15, 07:43 PM
M
Ok, I'll go for it.

Thanks again, Pete