Portable dehumidifier needed for basement.

Old 07-06-15, 01:56 AM
A
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
Portable dehumidifier needed for basement.

I am getting a lot of moisture and dampness in my basement. I am looking for an inexpensive dehumidifier that I can put on a small shelf in the basement and have it drain into the washing machine drain line. This way I don't have to go and empty it every couple of hours instead it can drain itself.

The basement is not finished. Has part cement and part gravel floor. Water does get into it which I plan on taking care of later but for now just want some help in getting out some of the moisture. The size of the basement is about 450 square feet and the height averages about 5 to 5 1/2 feet. I have two windows and a door leading out to the yard. I guess I need to buy one depending on how much of an area i need it to work for. I don't know.

Years ago (in another house i owned) I had one that I mounted on a shelf that I made from the floor rafters and it had a catch basin in the back and the catch basin had a connection for a drain hose which I then put down into the washing machine drain line to the sewer.

I was looking at many of them online. I have to watch what I spend but need to know how they are rated. When I see rating such as 40 pints or 50 pints etc is this stating how large the self contained catch basic is or is this the rating as to how much the unit can take dampness out of the air in one hour. Also, when looking at them how do i know from the descriptions if I can set it up like I want to draining directly into a sewer line and not have to empty it all the time.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-15, 02:44 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Inexpensive dehumidifiers generally don't perform as well as higher priced models nor do they last as long. More often than not they also use more electricity than do higher priced models and that operating cost IS important. Santa Fe dehumidifiers are high quality units with a high cost to match.
When I see rating such as 40 pints or 50 pints etc is this stating how large the self contained catch basic is or is this the rating as to how much the unit can take dampness out of the air in one hour?
The rating is how much water the machine will condense from the atmosphere in a 24 hour period. Few will have a bucket large enough that it could hold the entire amount of condensate the machine is capable of condensing, meaning that the machine will shut down before 24 hours of run time. Remember, 40 pints is a full five gallons.

Also, when looking at them how do i know from the descriptions if I can set it up like I want to draining directly into a sewer line and not have to empty it all the time.
The description should state if a hose can be attached, if it doesn't specifically state a hose CAN be attached then more likely as not it will not have a hose nipple. That doesn't mean that you couldn't DIY a drain hose but in all likelihood doing so would void the warranty.

Depending upon your local conditions ventilation may work out okay for bringing the relative humidity of the space down somewhat.

Old 07-06-15, 04:13 AM
A
Thanks for your input. Well, i guess spending the money needed for a good unit is not in my budget and spending money on a unit too small doing no good will e like using a 5000 btu window a/c and expecting it to cool an entire house. Just not possible and will just use electricity.

I do have a high power fan that I can use in the basement and leave the windows and door open to help vent it out. Is there anything that I can buy that will collect some of the moisture in the air to help with this?

(P.S.) Just a side note off topic. I have noticed that posting on this forum is hard as the key strikes take a long time to appear. I think it may be the advertising video on the bottom right side of the page takes up a lot of memory and causes major delays. I realize most of the income comes from the advertising but it really get annoying typing and scrolling until the video loads totally. I even have high speed cable and it is slow. anyone else experience this delay?

Old 07-06-15, 04:41 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
(P.S.) Just a side note off topic. I have noticed that posting on this forum is hard as the key strikes take a long time to appear. I think it may be the advertising video on the bottom right side of the page takes up a lot of memory and causes major delays.
This is not a problem with the site. This is a problem with your computer. You may have too many applications running at the same time. Or your IPS may have a slow connection to this site.

On post topic...If you keep tools, clothing, food or most anything down there you want something to dehumidify the area. Mold will be your biggest problem. Even an inexpensive unit is better than none. It's part of the cost of living. A dehumidifier is like running a refrigerator (in fact it pretty much is a refrigerator), it takes a lot of energy but is a necessary.

Size wise in terms of square footage make a big difference in what you buy. A 30 pint won't take take care of a very large area and will run continuously. Do a quick calculation of your area and use it as a guide when you buy.

Last edited by Norm201; 07-06-15 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-06-15, 05:36 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
You also need to address the source of the moisture to avoid chasing your tail (going in circles). The gravel area you mention combined with a known water intrusion makes dehumidifying almost impossible. That gravel is hiding the dirt and moisture below it and adding GALLONS of moisture per day to your basement. I don't know the extent of water entering or the conditions under that grave, so cannot make informed suggestions.

As always, moisture control in basements and crawlspaces starts on the exterior of the house with landscaping and drainage away from the building.

Bud

Old 07-06-15, 10:19 AM
A
This is not a problem with the site. This is a problem with your computer. You may have too many applications running at the same time. Or your IPS may have a slow connection to this site.
Thanks for the info.Will check the internet speed with ISP and self-test

Even an inexpensive unit is better than none. It's part of the cost of living. A dehumidifier is like running a refrigerator (in fact it pretty much is a refrigerator), it takes a lot of energy but is a necessary.
I understand and agree. Will have to end up biting the bullet and buying something at least to work on the moisture.

You also need to address the source of the moisture to avoid chasing your tail (going in circles)
and

As always, moisture control in basements and crawlspaces starts on the exterior of the house with landscaping and drainage away from the building.
Thanks, I am aware of this and working on correcting the issues of what is letting water in the house; from the roof, to the gutters, to the landscaping drainage. Unfortunately this will take some time as I bought a foreclosure and a lot has to be done in order to tackle this one problem.

Old 07-06-15, 11:33 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Just to expand on a common misconception, you speak of your moisture issues as water. 95% of the home out there do not address moisture vapor which passes right through those basement walls as well as up through the concrete floors. Yes, water issues need to be addressed, but that alone will not yield a dry basement. Basically, without the extensive water proofing that other 5% get when built, you will always have to manage the moisture vapor. Attention to modern techniques for finishing a basement will be very helpful.

The link below will get you started:
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...build-renovate

Bud

Old 07-06-15, 11:41 AM
A
Thanks Bud will check into it and review it.